Re: [LutheransLookingEast] "Changing Churches? An Orthodox, Cathol, and Lutheran Theological Conversation" (Eerdmans, 2012)

  • Timothy Jackon
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 3, 2011
      Fr. Fenton or Ben Harju,

      For the curious among us who don't know what you're referring to (like me)
      could you say a little bit more about the these conversations? Was this a
      conference or a private meeting? Were the Lutheran clergy from different
      denominations or were they all ELCA or LCMS etc? I'm not exactly sure what
      questions to ask about this. Forgive my curiosity, but once I saw the
      reaction from Ben I really wanted to know me about this. I'm looking
      forward to reading this book once it's released.

      - Timothy

      On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 5:30 PM, Fr John W Fenton <
      frfenton@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Part of the impetus for this book was a series of conversations, several
      > years ago, between some Orthodox clergy and some Lutheran clergy.
      >
      > Fr John W Fenton
      >
      > Priest, Holy Incarnation Orthodox Church
      >
      > LOCATION: 1385 Goddard Rd, Lincoln Park MI 48146
      >
      > MAIL: 8941 Quandt Ave, Allen Park MI 48101
      >
      > 313.282.6153
      >
      > frfenton@...

    • Timothy Jackon
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 3, 2011
        *to know more about this.

        Wow, I can't type this morning.

      • Fr John W Fenton
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 3, 2011
          Timothy,

          Once upon a time, some Lutherans and Orthodox (mostly but not exclusively
          clergy) gathered for a series of conversations. These were based on mutual
          friendships and interests. These conversations were informal. The goal was
          to set aside caricatures, grandstanding, defensiveness and academic
          posturing so that convergence and divergence could be discussed in a serious
          yet friendly atmosphere.

          frfenton@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > Part of the impetus for this book was a series of conversations,
          > several years ago, between some Orthodox clergy and some Lutheran clergy.
          >
          > Fr John W Fenton
          >
          > Priest, Holy Incarnation Orthodox Church
          >
          > LOCATION: 1385 Goddard Rd, Lincoln Park MI 48146
          >
          > MAIL: 8941 Quandt Ave, Allen Park MI 48101
          >
          > 313.282.6153
          >
          > frfenton@...

        • jayedenne
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 4, 2011
            For the past several years, I've been a part of a dialogue here in Sioux City, Iowa, between local Lutheran and Orthodox clergy. It sounds like our discussions have been similar to the conversations you had - we've covered some serious theological ground, but in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere.

            Pr. Jay Denne