RE: [LutheransLookingEast] "Changing Churches? An Orthodox, Cathol, and Lutheran Theological Conversation" (Eerdmans, 2012)

  • Fr John W Fenton
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 1, 2011
      Part of the impetus for this book was a series of conversations, several
      years ago, between some Orthodox clergy and some Lutheran clergy.

      Fr John W Fenton

      Priest, Holy Incarnation Orthodox Church

      LOCATION: 1385 Goddard Rd, Lincoln Park MI 48146

      MAIL: 8941 Quandt Ave, Allen Park MI 48101

      313.282.6153

      frfenton@...

      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 2, 2011
        Ooooh, it's THAT book. I look forward to reading it.

        On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 6:30 PM, Fr John W Fenton <
        frfenton@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Part of the impetus for this book was a series of conversations, several
        > years ago, between some Orthodox clergy and some Lutheran clergy.
        >
        > Fr John W Fenton
        >
        > Priest, Holy Incarnation Orthodox Church
        >
        > LOCATION: 1385 Goddard Rd, Lincoln Park MI 48146
        >
        > MAIL: 8941 Quandt Ave, Allen Park MI 48101
        >
        > 313.282.6153
        >
        > frfenton@...

      • Timothy Jackon
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 3, 2011
          Fr. Fenton or Ben Harju,

          For the curious among us who don't know what you're referring to (like me)
          could you say a little bit more about the these conversations? Was this a
          conference or a private meeting? Were the Lutheran clergy from different
          denominations or were they all ELCA or LCMS etc? I'm not exactly sure what
          questions to ask about this. Forgive my curiosity, but once I saw the
          reaction from Ben I really wanted to know me about this. I'm looking
          forward to reading this book once it's released.

          - Timothy

          On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 5:30 PM, Fr John W Fenton <
          frfenton@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > Part of the impetus for this book was a series of conversations, several
          > years ago, between some Orthodox clergy and some Lutheran clergy.
          >
          > Fr John W Fenton
          >
          > Priest, Holy Incarnation Orthodox Church
          >
          > LOCATION: 1385 Goddard Rd, Lincoln Park MI 48146
          >
          > MAIL: 8941 Quandt Ave, Allen Park MI 48101
          >
          > 313.282.6153
          >
          > frfenton@...

        • Timothy Jackon
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 3, 2011
            *to know more about this.

            Wow, I can't type this morning.

          • Fr John W Fenton
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 3, 2011
              Timothy,

              Once upon a time, some Lutherans and Orthodox (mostly but not exclusively
              clergy) gathered for a series of conversations. These were based on mutual
              friendships and interests. These conversations were informal. The goal was
              to set aside caricatures, grandstanding, defensiveness and academic
              posturing so that convergence and divergence could be discussed in a serious
              yet friendly atmosphere.

              frfenton@...> wrote:

              > **
              >

              > Part of the impetus for this book was a series of conversations,
              > several years ago, between some Orthodox clergy and some Lutheran clergy.
              >
              > Fr John W Fenton
              >
              > Priest, Holy Incarnation Orthodox Church
              >
              > LOCATION: 1385 Goddard Rd, Lincoln Park MI 48146
              >
              > MAIL: 8941 Quandt Ave, Allen Park MI 48101
              >
              > 313.282.6153
              >
              > frfenton@...

            • jayedenne
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 4, 2011
                For the past several years, I've been a part of a dialogue here in Sioux City, Iowa, between local Lutheran and Orthodox clergy. It sounds like our discussions have been similar to the conversations you had - we've covered some serious theological ground, but in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere.

                Pr. Jay Denne