RE: [LutheransLookingEast] Infant Communion Paper

  • Fr John W Fenton
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 1, 2011
      For those who may be interested.

      During my theological interview at CTS, as a condition for ordination I had
      to promise the interviewing professor that I would not "promote" infant
      communion in the parishes I served as a Lutheran pastor. I kept that
      promise. However, I also raised questions at pastor (circuit) meetings and
      other gatherings, and answered truthfully when asked by parishioners.

      I raised some of those questions in the early 1990s during a meeting
      attended by Pr Marincic and Pr Gehlbach. Those questions prompted Pr
      Marincic's study and inquiry, which I read and commented on as he produced
      it. From the outset, I thought the general Lutheran answer to the question
      was exceedingly weak, and that the CTCR response was not only predictable
      but typically unincisive theology ignorant of the Lutheran hermeneutical
      tradition regarding dogmatic, historical and exegetical theology.

      I supported the move to early communion, both in my parish and in the Synod
      (LSB). My greatest joy, however, was seeing my youngest child (then, 1 yr
      old) communed by Bishop MARK immediately after his chrismation.

      Fr John W Fenton

      Priest, Holy Incarnation Orthodox Church

      LOCATION: 1385 Goddard Rd, Lincoln Park MI 48146

      MAIL: 8941 Quandt Ave, Allen Park MI 48101

      313.282.6153

      frfenton@...

      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 1, 2011
        Well, ya learn something new every day! I didn't know you were the
        catalyst for Pr. Marincic's wonderful paper and a subsequent reviewer! I
        should have guessed.

        (Was Pastor Marincic of Croatian decent? The name is only one "n" away
        from a family name of mine, Maricic. I have a hard time imagining a
        Croatian Lutheran...although Gregory of Nin was a little Luther-like in
        that he fought and succeeded to allow mass to be said in the Croatian
        language.) -----R

        On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 3:32 PM, Fr John W Fenton <
        frfenton@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > For those who may be interested.
        >
        > During my theological interview at CTS, as a condition for ordination I had
        > to promise the interviewing professor that I would not "promote" infant
        > communion in the parishes I served as a Lutheran pastor. I kept that
        > promise. However, I also raised questions at pastor (circuit) meetings and
        > other gatherings, and answered truthfully when asked by parishioners.
        >
        > I raised some of those questions in the early 1990s during a meeting
        > attended by Pr Marincic and Pr Gehlbach. Those questions prompted Pr
        > Marincic's study and inquiry, which I read and commented on as he produced
        > it. From the outset, I thought the general Lutheran answer to the question
        > was exceedingly weak, and that the CTCR response was not only predictable
        > but typically unincisive theology ignorant of the Lutheran hermeneutical
        > tradition regarding dogmatic, historical and exegetical theology.
        >
        > I supported the move to early communion, both in my parish and in the Synod
        > (LSB). My greatest joy, however, was seeing my youngest child (then, 1 yr
        > old) communed by Bishop MARK immediately after his chrismation.
        >
        > Fr John W Fenton
        >
        > Priest, Holy Incarnation Orthodox Church
        >
        > LOCATION: 1385 Goddard Rd, Lincoln Park MI 48146
        >
        > MAIL: 8941 Quandt Ave, Allen Park MI 48101
        >
        > 313.282.6153
        >
        > frfenton@...

      • Fr John W Fenton
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 1, 2011
          Pr Marincic was, indeed, of Croatian descent. He always delighted in
          pointing out TLH #19 which, in many copies, smeared the e so that it read
          "All praise to God, who reigns above, the God of all croation."

          frfenton@... <mailto:frfenton%40holyincarnation.org> >

          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 1, 2011
            I'm looking forward to reading it too....but for me also it was a no-brainer.
            Excommunicating people without cause is a grievous thing.

            It was also obvious to me that little children aren't spiritually handicapped
            because they lack "reason;" reason has led to every heresy and genocide
            imaginable, and Jesus forbade people to keep infants from Him.

            Once I become Orthodox and learned about the "nous" everything made much more
            sense; but even without knowledge of this elementary Koine Greek term it was
            clear you can't refuse Communion to people who are saved...no matter how short
            they are.

            R.

            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 5, 2011
              Pastor Futrell, that was a wonderful essay! I'm going to save it in my files as
              a reference on the topic.

              I would have only a couple of comments:

              The first is minor. While the patriarchate of Alexandria eventually fell to the
              Copts (who were monophysites), there remains an Orthodox patriarchate. In fact,
              the most famous monastery in Egypt, St. Catherine of Sinai, is Orthodox.
              Hopefully the Copts will soon become Orthodox.

              I find Luther's saying there is "no urgency in the sacrament of the altar"
              disturbing. If it really indeed is the true body and blood of Christ we
              receive, there is every urgency for everyone; what could be more important than
              the blood of Christ coursing through our veins, enlivening our corrupted souls
              and bodies?

              ---But really, on a larger scale, I find it sad it is that you're doing so much
              wonderful work fighting your own denominational traditions, rather than fighting
              the devil and his legions. Everything you said is true; but will that change
              the LCMS? Will people be moved by what the 2nd and 3rd generation Lutherans
              said...or Luther himself?

              When people disagree with your assertions they take their stand on "sola
              Scriptura"; when you disagree with their assertions, they will quote Luther.

              The tradition "we have no tradition" trumps all others, by its very nature. It
              is the royal flush of theology. It is the self-validating
              holiness-on-a-corndog-stick of the Reformation.

              Granted you won't change the LCMS. But even if you shed untold blood, sweat and
              tears in your own parish to introduce catholic practices and beliefs, will it
              change your parishioners? No, it won't change them; once you leave the next
              pastor will bury all your efforts in short order.

              The body of Christ is not a set of beliefs and practices; it is an ontology. It
              is the "I am" of He who Is. It is His very flesh and blood.

              I spent many years when I was in the LCMS working on changes in
              beliefs/practices...I collected great essays like yours, wrote my own stuff,
              made enormous files of Scripture, and even started to found a society.

              But it got nowhere. Maybe if I had been a pastor it would have done a little
              something for a short while; but as a layman I had virtually no effect on the
              beliefs and practices of the LCMS or my parish. I felt loved, and pastors hated
              to see us go; but in terms of making changes, my blood, sweat and tears amounted
              to a hill of beans.

              Eventually the injustice and contradictions and false hermeneutics and
              sloganeering got to be more than I could take spiritually. I ended up tossing
              and turning at night, fretting and getting angrier and angrier.

              The relief when we became Orthodox was indescribable. I didn't have to argue
              about making the sign of the cross, or kneeling, or reverence toward the
              Eucharist, or argue about interpreting Scripture; in fact, the prayers that were
              being sung in church were boldly proclaiming the truths that the LCMS couldn't
              handle. I could enjoy icons, quit worrying about what my children were
              learning, leave the French Revolution and its anti-hierarchical ethos behind,
              and start fighting the devil. In fact, at a certain point in one service I
              suddenly realized that instead of my judging the church's theology, the Church
              could judge MY theology!! What a relief that was.

              But enough. Thanks for sharing that essay with us; and I pray for you and your
              family in your spiritual journey.

              In Christ,

              Randall