Re: [LutheransLookingEast] Tradition

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 13, 2011
      Pastor Futrell, nice work in your classes!

      I might add that while paradosisoccurs 13 times in the NT, the verb
      paradidomioccurs

      some 120 times. It never means anything other than to hand something to
      others. Paradidomiis defined

      this way even by Protestant dictionaries; the standard BAGD lexicon, which was
      done by Lutherans, defines it

      more exactly as pertaining to ‘oral or written tradition,’ citing many secular
      as well as Christian authors.

      I also like to quote Prof. David Scaer, professor of Biblical and systematic
      theology and chairman of the dept of

      systematics at CTS Ft Wayne:

      "Through the controversies of the historical content of the Bible, the LCMS
      espoused a sola Scriptura theology

      and lived off its own traditions" (CTQ, Vol. 71, #3-4, July/October 2007,
      p. 205).

      The article discusses this in more detail; but how can Lutherans criticize
      tradition if the head of their own

      systematics dept admits it is underlying their own Sola Scriptura belief?

      ---Well, that's a rhetorical question...obviously, the tradition that one does
      not have traditions perpetuates the

      modern LCMS ethos. It is a big-T tradition, too; it trumps all others. The way
      the Orthodox cling to traditions

      so fiercely is a commonplace; but the LCMS does also.

      I rec'd many blessings from the LCMS...but one thing I found is that this
      Tradition can't be fought. Appealing to

      reason, Luther, the confessions or a 17th century German theologian doesn't
      help. All it does is drive you crazy.

      Even if you spend years and gallons of blood, sweat and tears trying to
      transform a parish and make all kinds of

      changes, it'll all fly out the window within the first eight months the next
      pastor is there. It happened to a friend of

      mine. I completely lost my peace before we became Orthodox; I was lying awake
      at night fretting over these

      things.

      Of course there are always battles to be fought; but now I'm fighting demons
      rather than Lutherans. Glory to God.

      Blessings,

      Randall