Tradition

  • Richard K. Futrell
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 12, 2011
      Randall,

      Thanks you so much for that tidbit on the bias in the NIV translation. I wasn't aware of that (but then I don;t use the NIV as my primary translation).

      Here's some stuff I taught in a midweek class a while back on "tradition."

      Christian worship is supposed to be traditional, if we understand “tradition” as the Bible uses the word. For God in His written, revealed Word requires it!

      But first, let look at the places where “tradition” is looked down on in the Bible (as that seems to be what we know the most about).

      - “Why do Your disciples break the tradition of the elders? For they don't wash their hands before they eat.” Jesus replied,, “And why do you break God's commandment because of your tradition?” [Matthew 15:2-3) (See also Mark 7, which is the parallel. These two passages are the only places in the Gospels were paradosis is used.)

      Similarly Paul is in two places critical of tradition:

      - Galatians 1:14: Paul mentions that before he was a Christian, he was extremely zealous for the traditions of the Jewish fathers.

      - Colossians 2:8: Paul distinguishes between human traditions and Christ: “Be careful that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deceit based on human tradition, based on the elemental forces of the world, and not based on Christ.”

      These are the only negative mentions of tradition in the New Testament!

      The Greek verb paradidomi often means “hand over, arrest.” The verb is used of Judas, often translated as “betray,” because his betrayal was in “handing over” Jesus.

      But “handing over” is also used positively:

      - The Father “hands over” all things to His Son (Matthew 11:27).

      - In the Parable of the Talents, the goods of the kingdom are “entrusted” to stewards. God has entrusted us with those goods. That’s why we are not supposed to bury them (as did one of those stewards), treating them as something unimportant.

      - Luke 1:2: Eyewitnesses and ministers of the Word have “traditioned”--that is, delivered--the things of Jesus to others.

      - In John’s Gospel, the verb “tradition” is always used to refer to Jesus being betrayed or handed over to soldiers, except for 19:30, where Jesus nods His head and “hands over” His Spirit.

      Paul praises the Corinthians for keeping the traditions that he delivered to them:

      - 1 Corinthians 11:2: “Now I praise you for remembering me in everything and keeping the traditions just as I delivered them to you.” [Paul traditioned the traditions]

      - Similarly 2 Thessalonians 2:15: “So then, brothers, stand firm and hold to the traditions that you were taught, either by our spoken word or by our letter.”

      Scripture tells us to avoid those who do not hold to the Apostolic Tradition:

      - 2 Thessalonians 3:6: “Now we command you, brothers, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, to keep away from every brother who walks irresponsibly and not according to the tradition received from us.”

      The question for us is: What are the traditions that the Apostle is so insistent that we hold firm?

      - Paul identifies it in 1 Cor. 11:23, speaking of the Words of Institution as something received from the Lord which He traditions/hands over to the Corinthians.

      - Then, in 1 Corinthians 15:3, Paul gives an early creedal statement, saying that this is what has been “handed over” to the Church – the preaching of Jesus Christ Crucified and Risen.

      - In 2 Peter 2, the Apostle warns of those who speak “bombastic, empty words,” (2:18) who allure and entice the desires of our sinful human nature. They promise freedom, but are slaves of corruption. Peter then again uses “tradition,” saying it would have been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, then to have known it and forsaken the commandment “traditioned” (handed over) to them.

      - Jude writes in his epistle that he is compelled to contend for the faith that has been traditioned, once-for-all handed over to the saints.

      From all this it is clear that the Christian faith to be Christian is to be “traditional,” and that central to our worship is the holy tradition which comes to us from Christ through the Apostles. Worship must be “traditional,” something handed down to us if it is to be Christian.

      --
      Rich Futrell, Pastor
      Shepherd of the Hills Lutheran Church, Kimberling City, MO

      Where we receive and confess the faith of the Church (in and with the Augsburg Confession): The faith once delivered to the saints, the faith of Christ Jesus, His Word of the Gospel, His full forgiveness of sins, His flesh and blood given and poured out for us, and His gracious gift of life for body, soul, and spirit.
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 13, 2011
        Pastor Futrell, nice work in your classes!

        I might add that while paradosisoccurs 13 times in the NT, the verb
        paradidomioccurs

        some 120 times. It never means anything other than to hand something to
        others. Paradidomiis defined

        this way even by Protestant dictionaries; the standard BAGD lexicon, which was
        done by Lutherans, defines it

        more exactly as pertaining to ‘oral or written tradition,’ citing many secular
        as well as Christian authors.

        I also like to quote Prof. David Scaer, professor of Biblical and systematic
        theology and chairman of the dept of

        systematics at CTS Ft Wayne:

        "Through the controversies of the historical content of the Bible, the LCMS
        espoused a sola Scriptura theology

        and lived off its own traditions" (CTQ, Vol. 71, #3-4, July/October 2007,
        p. 205).

        The article discusses this in more detail; but how can Lutherans criticize
        tradition if the head of their own

        systematics dept admits it is underlying their own Sola Scriptura belief?

        ---Well, that's a rhetorical question...obviously, the tradition that one does
        not have traditions perpetuates the

        modern LCMS ethos. It is a big-T tradition, too; it trumps all others. The way
        the Orthodox cling to traditions

        so fiercely is a commonplace; but the LCMS does also.

        I rec'd many blessings from the LCMS...but one thing I found is that this
        Tradition can't be fought. Appealing to

        reason, Luther, the confessions or a 17th century German theologian doesn't
        help. All it does is drive you crazy.

        Even if you spend years and gallons of blood, sweat and tears trying to
        transform a parish and make all kinds of

        changes, it'll all fly out the window within the first eight months the next
        pastor is there. It happened to a friend of

        mine. I completely lost my peace before we became Orthodox; I was lying awake
        at night fretting over these

        things.

        Of course there are always battles to be fought; but now I'm fighting demons
        rather than Lutherans. Glory to God.

        Blessings,

        Randall

[...]

        From all this it is clear that the Christian faith to be Christian is to be
        “traditional,” and that central to our worship is the holy tradition which comes
        to us from Christ through the Apostles. Worship must be “traditional,”
        something handed down to us if it is to be Christian.