Road to Emmaus Journal Needs Your Help

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 23, 2011
      Road to Emmaus Journal Needs Your Help <http://www.bombaxo.com/blog/?p=3273>
      *from biblicalia<https://www.google.com/reader/view/feed/http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bombaxo.com%2Fblog%2F%3Ffeed%3Drss2>
      by
      Kevin P. Edgecomb*

      The Road to Emmaus <http://www.roadtoemmaus.net/> journal is extraordinary.
      Of all the Orthodox journals and magazines that I�ve run across, this one is
      by far the best for Anglophone Orthodox. It is subtitled �A Journal of
      Orthodox Faith and Culture� and it is precisely that: each issue generally
      follows a theme, whether broad or tight, including several lengthy articles
      touching on the subject matter at hand. What is extraordinary is the quality
      not only of the writing, but the choice of subject matter. Every issue is
      enlightening, and never disappointing.

      The website for Road to Emmaus includes articles from at latest about a year
      and a half ago and earlier. More recent issues are available only in print.
      So, while there are a number of excellent things to read on the website
      available gratis, more current issues will only be posted after they�re
      about a year and more old. But this also brings to mind the necessity of
      contributing toward the production of the journal.

      I am now at Holy Cross Greek Orthodox School of Theology, studying in the
      MDiv program. It is with great joy that I discovered that Mother Nectaria
      Mclees, the International Editor for Road to Emmaus, is a fellow student,
      and we have met and �hit it off� so to speak. But she has told me that the
      financial state of Road to Emmaus is quite dire at the moment. More than 500
      subscribers have let their subscriptions lapse in the last six months (as I
      had done) and have not renewed. This jeopardizes the existence of the
      journal itself. So, please, please, please,
      SUBSCRIBE<http://www.roadtoemmaus.net/subscribe.html>(one year is
      merely $25; two years is $46), or give
      a GIFT SUBSCRIPTION <http://www.roadtoemmaus.net/subscribe.html>, or even
      just DONATE <http://www.roadtoemmaus.net/rte_donations.html> something to
      the cause of keeping this excellent, high-quality Orthodox publication in
      circulation. It is vastly superior to other Orthodox journals in English, in
      its quality of subject matter, its production, and in the phronema that it
      relates. Without more support from a number of subscribers, the journal will
      certainly cease publication.

      I myself, a poor graduate student (I am still becoming accustomed to this
      new state of being!), have ponied up $46 for a two-year subscription, which
      is economical and inexpensive for the insights gained from a single issue.
      The price of $25 or $46 is a steal for such a quality publication! The
      thought of English-speaking Orthodox losing this journal is quite upsetting.
      I trust that other readers who appreciate the journal will renew their
      subscriptions, start up new subscriptions, or at the very least, donate some
      amount to the upkeep of the journal. Consider this an open hand needing to
      be filled! Open your own hand to fill it, and you�ll receive the blessing.

      *Do not let your hand be stretched out to receive, but closed when it is
      time to give*
      (Sirach 4.31)