Re: [LutheransLookingEast] Jame's R. Payton's Light from the Christian East

  • matt reader
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 18, 2011
      I have found Light from the Christian East to be one of the best intros to EO, esp geared toward the Protestant mindset. It is VERY well written, researched, with lots of great references. I have bought many for our parish library adn bookstore. I think I reviewed it on amazon too.

      Matt
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 21, 2011
        "Light from the Christian East: An Introduction to the Orthodox Tradition"
        by Payton came highly recommended to me. I found it to be a good enough
        introduction to Orthodoxy, but it didn't offer more than what was already
        available. I don't believe he's Orthodox, but if one were looking for a
        non-Orthodox introduction to Orthodoxy I found Clendenin's introductory text
        as well as his 'reader' to offer much the same. Payton didn't offer a book
        much shorter than Ware's two introductory classics, but Ware packed in more
        details, an insider's objective view, and was equally readable and better
        written. In short, I don't remember it being either good or bad, it was an
        acceptable introduction with a bad cover and nothing much to differentiate
        it from other texts.

        If you like Irenaeus' "Againt Heresies", you may also want to read through
        the various works of Fr. John Behr, Dean and Professor of Patristics at St.
        Vladimir's Seminary (see http://fwd4.me/04Sn for bio and written work). His
        early work was on issues of asceticism and anthropology, focusing on St.
        Irenaeus of Lyons and Clement of Alexandria. His D.Phil. Thesis at Oxford
        was "Godly Lives: Asceticism and Anthropology, with Special Reference to
        Sexuality, in the Writings of St Irenaeus of Lyons and St Clement of
        Alexandria", he wrot*e "Asceticism and Anthropology in Irenaeus and Clement*"
        (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2000), and he translated and edited* "St
        Irenaeus of Lyons: On the Apostolic Preaching"* (Crestwood: SVS Press,
        1997). Irenaeus plays a central part in Behr's "The Way to Nicaea", Volume
        1, 'Formation of Christian Theology' series (which is condensed as "*The
        Mystery of Christ: Life in Death*" (Crestwood, NY: SVS Press, 2006).

        Christopher

        On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 8:49 PM, Richard <PastorFutrell@...>wrote:

        > **
        >

        > I came across a new book (well, very old!) of Irenaeus' Againt Heresies
        > translated/revised by James Payton. It looks finally to be a new version of
        > Ireneaus' text in current English (with some of the most tedious parts on
        > Gnosticism to be condensed).
        >
        > But then I saw that he also wrote Light from the Christian East: An
        > Introduction to the Orthodox Tradition. Have any of you read this? If so,
        > what is your opinion of the book?
        >
        > R. Futrell

      • Benjamin Harju
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 21, 2011
          A nice book on St. Irenaeus's theology is "Man and the Incarnation" by
          Gustaf Wingren. I read it first in seminary, and it was influential in my
          journey to Orthodoxy, though it is not written by an Orthodox author. I
          recommended it to my priest, who thought it was very good, too. It used to
          be out of print, but is available again. (I just ordered it for myself the
          other day.)