Jame's R. Payton's Light from the Christian East

  • Richard
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 16, 2011
      I came across a new book (well, very old!) of Irenaeus' Againt Heresies translated/revised by James Payton. It looks finally to be a new version of Ireneaus' text in current English (with some of the most tedious parts on Gnosticism to be condensed).

      But then I saw that he also wrote Light from the Christian East: An Introduction to the Orthodox Tradition. Have any of you read this? If so, what is your opinion of the book?

      R. Futrell
    • matt reader
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 18, 2011
        I have found Light from the Christian East to be one of the best intros to EO, esp geared toward the Protestant mindset. It is VERY well written, researched, with lots of great references. I have bought many for our parish library adn bookstore. I think I reviewed it on amazon too.

        Matt

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 21, 2011
          "Light from the Christian East: An Introduction to the Orthodox Tradition"
          by Payton came highly recommended to me. I found it to be a good enough
          introduction to Orthodoxy, but it didn't offer more than what was already
          available. I don't believe he's Orthodox, but if one were looking for a
          non-Orthodox introduction to Orthodoxy I found Clendenin's introductory text
          as well as his 'reader' to offer much the same. Payton didn't offer a book
          much shorter than Ware's two introductory classics, but Ware packed in more
          details, an insider's objective view, and was equally readable and better
          written. In short, I don't remember it being either good or bad, it was an
          acceptable introduction with a bad cover and nothing much to differentiate
          it from other texts.

          If you like Irenaeus' "Againt Heresies", you may also want to read through
          the various works of Fr. John Behr, Dean and Professor of Patristics at St.
          Vladimir's Seminary (see http://fwd4.me/04Sn for bio and written work). His
          early work was on issues of asceticism and anthropology, focusing on St.
          Irenaeus of Lyons and Clement of Alexandria. His D.Phil. Thesis at Oxford
          was "Godly Lives: Asceticism and Anthropology, with Special Reference to
          Sexuality, in the Writings of St Irenaeus of Lyons and St Clement of
          Alexandria", he wrot*e "Asceticism and Anthropology in Irenaeus and Clement*"
          (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2000), and he translated and edited* "St
          Irenaeus of Lyons: On the Apostolic Preaching"* (Crestwood: SVS Press,
          1997). Irenaeus plays a central part in Behr's "The Way to Nicaea", Volume
          1, 'Formation of Christian Theology' series (which is condensed as "*The
          Mystery of Christ: Life in Death*" (Crestwood, NY: SVS Press, 2006).

          Christopher

          On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 8:49 PM, Richard <PastorFutrell@...>wrote:

          > **
          >

          > I came across a new book (well, very old!) of Irenaeus' Againt Heresies
          > translated/revised by James Payton. It looks finally to be a new version of
          > Ireneaus' text in current English (with some of the most tedious parts on
          > Gnosticism to be condensed).
          >
          > But then I saw that he also wrote Light from the Christian East: An
          > Introduction to the Orthodox Tradition. Have any of you read this? If so,
          > what is your opinion of the book?
          >
          > R. Futrell

        • Benjamin Harju
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 21, 2011
            A nice book on St. Irenaeus's theology is "Man and the Incarnation" by
            Gustaf Wingren. I read it first in seminary, and it was influential in my
            journey to Orthodoxy, though it is not written by an Orthodox author. I
            recommended it to my priest, who thought it was very good, too. It used to
            be out of print, but is available again. (I just ordered it for myself the
            other day.)