Re: [LutheransLookingEast] Re: Orthodox Jurisdictions

    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 14, 2010
      I'd like to affirm these wise words from Orthogrammy. Everything eventually
      falls into place.

      In my area I opted to attend the local Greek parish only 10 minutes from our
      home, rather than the OCA parish over an hour from my home. Now I preferred
      the OCA parish for a few reasons...everything is done in English and I
      prefer Russian polyphonic music as opposed to the Byzantine Chant.
      Additionally I was drawn to the piety of the folks at the OCA parish and it
      is loaded with converts. But I also knew I would want to be active in my
      parish and be able to attend as many services as possible (having spent a
      half a lifetime without Orthodoxy, I figured I have a lot of lost time to
      make up attending the services!) And the Greek parish, being the only
      Orthodox Church in a college town tends to be a little less Greek drawing
      all kinds of Orthodox attend there, Russian, Romanian, Bulgarian, Serbian,
      you name it so they use more English than some--which for me was very
      important.

      Nonetheless, it is still Greek and that becomes more obvious especially when
      attending events at the Cathedral or with other parishes like the St. John
      Chrysostom Oratorical festivals or even holding our own Greek festival. At
      first I struggled with the Greek thing. There isn't one iota of Greek in
      me. But over time, as Orthogrammy points out, everything has fallen into
      place and I am quite at home being a non-Greek in our Greek parish.

      So do what makes sense for you. As my priest says "soak up the services."
      Expect that there will be cultural differences. Open your mind and heart to
      them. You'll learn to appreciate them over time. And they will learn to
      appreciate what you bring to the parish...especially if you bring Bavarian
      Brezen to the covered dish luncheons! ;) -----R