Re: [LutheransLookingEast] Orthodox Jurisdictions

    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 13, 2010
      I agree with Randy. Most of the things I mentioned are not really pertinent
      to an inquirer, catechumen or new convert. I took the question too much in
      the abstract, academically. Each parish is a microcosm of the church and
      should be investigated on its own terms. It's a blessing to have a choice
      in your area (I have even more being in NYC), though that ability to choose
      causes its own problems.

      I will second the comparison with monastics. Any novice I have known has
      visited a number of monasteries to find one that 'fits'. The monastic
      brotherhood is getting to know the potential novice, too. It's much the
      same way with finding the right parish home. Good thing all things work
      together for the good of them who love God. I find we all have available to
      us exactly what we need.

      Christopher

      On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 8:52 PM, randall hay <stortford@...>wrote:

      > Some of the things people are saying aren't really paralleling what I have
      > experienced. For instance, I go to a church that is "Russian" in
      > style/ethos/music, but is under the Patriarch of Bulgaria. Much of the OCA
      > has
      > been influenced by "Russian" practices, but of course it is not under
      > Moscow.
      >
      > ---And I think what Wikileaks says about the Patriarchate of Moscow is a
      > whole
      > topic that would take some research and fair discussion, and would have no
      > relevance to somebody deciding what parish to go to...esp since only a
      > handful
      > of parishes in the US are under Moscow.
      >
      > I think we all tend to form our own views on the topic of the differing
      > jurisdictions, and it would be best to just visit the different parishes
      > and see
      > what fits best, see which feels right for you. We are not like RC in this
      > sense,
      > where you are expected to go to the nearest church. We recognize that
      > different people fit in better at different places. It's the same with
      > people
      > interested in becoming monastics; they visit different monasteries as sees
      > what's the best fit.
      >
      > I have found that how visitors/converts are greeted isn't a function of the
      >
      > archdiocese, but the particular parish. (The same as in Lutheranism, in
      > other
      > words.)
      >
      > Just remember that all Orthodox are still sinners, just like we were in the
      >
      > NT...and I think you will be staggered by the grace you experience (and
      > also by
      > the demons' attacks)...
      >
      > Prayers,
      >
      > R.
      >
      > ________________________________

    • E
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 13, 2010
        --- In LutheransLookingEast@yahoogroups.com, "waynewhitmer" <waywhit@...> wrote:

        > I just posted this on Monachos.net and would also like to hear the opinions of my fellow Lutherans.
        >
        > I just read an article regarding Fr Peter Gilquist and it states:
        >
        > "Gilquest said he chose to join the Antiochan Orthodox Church because he asked himself when the church in Antioch died, and realized it never did."
        >
        > What are the essential distinguishing characteristics of each Orthodox jurisdiction? Is there a good article which addresses their origins and differences? Were I to convert to Orthodoxy I would have 2 choices locally and 1 choice within an hour away from my residence. 1. OCA 2. GOARCH and the 3rd an hour away would be AOCANA.
        >
        > Does it really matter or is one more open to converts than others? I know in the end I need to visit these parishes to understand however I'm interested in your thoughts?
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Wayne Whitmer

        Music styles are different. Greek and Antiochians will use Byzantine chant. OCA is more Russian (polyphonic), although Antiochians use lots of Russian choral music too. My Antiochian parish mixes both Russian choral and Byzantine chant. Food is different too. Yummy baklava and falafels.

        At my old Lutheran parish, majority were of German descent, services were changed over from German to English after WWII I'm told. Now, at my Orthodox parish there is more ethnic diversity, (Syrian, Palestinian, Russian, Greek, Romanian, Bulgarian, Serbian, the USA), but we all sign the +cross the same way!

        No, it doesn't really matter what jurisdiction. I'd say, first, decide if you want to pursue Orthodoxy. If yes, let nothing deter you. Focus on worship at the Divine Liturgy and/or Vespers. The services alone are more than sufficient. The rest will fall into place.
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 14, 2010
          I'd like to affirm these wise words from Orthogrammy. Everything eventually
          falls into place.

          In my area I opted to attend the local Greek parish only 10 minutes from our
          home, rather than the OCA parish over an hour from my home. Now I preferred
          the OCA parish for a few reasons...everything is done in English and I
          prefer Russian polyphonic music as opposed to the Byzantine Chant.
          Additionally I was drawn to the piety of the folks at the OCA parish and it
          is loaded with converts. But I also knew I would want to be active in my
          parish and be able to attend as many services as possible (having spent a
          half a lifetime without Orthodoxy, I figured I have a lot of lost time to
          make up attending the services!) And the Greek parish, being the only
          Orthodox Church in a college town tends to be a little less Greek drawing
          all kinds of Orthodox attend there, Russian, Romanian, Bulgarian, Serbian,
          you name it so they use more English than some--which for me was very
          important.

          Nonetheless, it is still Greek and that becomes more obvious especially when
          attending events at the Cathedral or with other parishes like the St. John
          Chrysostom Oratorical festivals or even holding our own Greek festival. At
          first I struggled with the Greek thing. There isn't one iota of Greek in
          me. But over time, as Orthogrammy points out, everything has fallen into
          place and I am quite at home being a non-Greek in our Greek parish.

          So do what makes sense for you. As my priest says "soak up the services."
          Expect that there will be cultural differences. Open your mind and heart to
          them. You'll learn to appreciate them over time. And they will learn to
          appreciate what you bring to the parish...especially if you bring Bavarian
          Brezen to the covered dish luncheons! ;) -----R