Re: [LutheransLookingEast] Blessed Advent to all!

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 7, 2010
      And to you!

      Happy St. Ambrose day today! We celebrate by converting Manichees (I've got
      a Zoroastrian across the hall - seriously - so I'll stop by later and see
      what I can do.)

      :)

      Christopher

      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 7, 2010
        Speaking of St Ambrose, I found his ON THE CHRISTIAN FAITH quite fascinating in
        terms of dealing with Arians. Some of their arguments are still the same; and
        some of his points are the same as contemporary anti-JW literature, some quite
        different from what we hear today.

        I've also found St John Chrysostom's commentary on John very instructing
        vis-a-vis Arianism, though it's only a tiny part of the commentary. His entire
        exegetical approach is very different from the post-schism Western approach, and
        gives great insight into the meaning of the text, which has the effect of
        illumining the nature of heresies.

        R.