New Perspective on Paul

  • timothy_jackson87
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 5, 2010
      I am just curious as to what the Orthodox perspective is on NT Wright and his so called New Perspective on Paul concerning Justification. Are their any similarities b/w the Orthodox view and Bishop Wright?

      Timothy
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 5, 2010
        There's no monolithic perspective on NT Wright or any other biblical
        scholar. You will find in Orthodoxy a range of opinions from totally
        anti-historical-critical method to wholly pro. The primary difference is
        that enormous weight is given to the Tradition of the Church: the consensus
        of the Fathers and how they as a whole or individually have understood
        Scripture, how the liturgical services understand Scripture, how the
        understanding of Scripture is treated in the ascetic practice of the
        Church. This tradition can be seen in a different light as new information
        arises. Basic examples would include the discovery that the world is round
        and how this affects an understanding of language about the four corners of
        the earth, discoveries regarding heliocentricity and how this affects
        language about the sun's movements, etc.

        Here are a few resources/conversations:

        http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?topic=15247.0

        http://www.theologyweb.com/forum/showthread.php?111079-N.T.-Wright-and-Eastern-Orthodoxy&p=3103037
        I'll ask a couple friends with more knowledge of NT Wright what thoughts
        there about him and his works within Orthodoxy.

        Christopher

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 8, 2010
          pastor and seminary professor). I think the lack of particularly helpful
          one way or the other for the Orthodox. I think his view is more 'important'
          to Protestants (because of the particular way they rely on Paul and certain
          portions of his Epistles, for the centrality of justification as they
          understand it, etc.), generally, but it's just another 'internal matter' for
          the West from the perspective of Orthodoxy.

          From one:

          I'm not an expert on Wright, either. That said, I think any rereading of
          > Paul that breaks out of the particular law-gospel dichotomy of Lutheranism
          > is good. For instance, Lutherans had coopted Galatians for a long time.
          > Yet, Paul is not Luther. We cannot be so anachronistic. Paul is concerned
          > with those demanding a following of the literal reading of the Levitical
          > Law. By Gospel, he does not mean that God pushes his grace through us at
          > his own choosing (for we cannot even cooperate). So, although I am not
          > aware of direct Orthodox engagement with Wright on this point, I do think
          > questioning the Lutheran anachronism is important.

          > I didn't find anything by an Orthodox scholar or anyone else explicitly
          > discussing this. I think in general, this is because Orthodox look to a
          > tradition of biblical interpretation rather than to critical tools alone
          > (whether one uses them "liberally" or "conservatively"). Now, some texts
          > receive little commentary in the Fathers and some questions were not
          > necessarily in their considerations, but that's just how it goes.
          >
          > One thing you could do is point him in the direction of the Finnish
          > Lutheran-Orthodox exchanges, though I have to confess that I think the
          > Finnish Lutherans are stretching Luther to make him appear more "Orthodox."

          > Here's one review: http://www.pubtheo.com/page.asp?pid=1435

          From the other:

          I've only read Wright on Christ, and his musings on the future of the