Re: Sin & Nature

  • Oruaseht
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 2, 2010
      Any Lutherans I have talked to on this topic - sin being alien to nature - disagree (despite what the Confessions do or do not say). For all intents and purposes, Lutheranism (today) believes in complete and utter depravity of human nature.

      Here is a response I received from a very learned Lutheran on this very topic (simply for interests sake):

      I just peeked at FC I (Epitome) to double check what it is that you are getting snagged on. I think I see what it is - Article I of the FC deals with an important distinction that emerged because of philosophical terminology. In no way does the article deny the depravity of humanity (ie: that we are somehow born sinless) but tries to distinguish between the Aristotelian categories of 'substance' (aka 'nature') and 'accidens' (ie: properties) as it relates to the integrity of God's good creation & the equally present corruption due to original sin. The point of the article is not to divide the two as though humanity could be diced into parts to point out that crumb A is sinful and crumb B is not. The point is to distinguish between the goodness of creation & the very real corruption of original sin into which we are all born. We are emphatically NOT born sinless (affirmative thesis 3 & the negative theses as well) - but rather - we are born caught within a contradictory state of being (by substance/nature) a good creation of God - yet at the same time thoroughly corrupted (in accidens & powers) by original sin.