Re: [LutheransLookingEast] Re: Theology of the Cross

    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 14, 2010
      Glory to God!

      Definitely take a look at the texts from Vespers and Matins (Orthros), too,
      if all you attended was Divine Liturgy. The Divine Liturgy is mainly
      unchangeable; the meat of the theology of the feast is to be found in the
      changeable sections of Vespers and Matins (Orthros).

      I remember during my first visits to an Orthodox church being shocked at
      home radically Cross and Christ focused the services were - and how
      Trinitarian. People were making the sign of the Cross all the time, the
      priest was blessing with the Cross, the Trinity was exclaimed constantly,
      and every reference to the Mother of God was accompanied by her Son's Cross
      underlining that any focus on her is focus on her Son and our God.

      Christopher

      On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 3:10 PM, mrthatoneguy92 <timsteele2@...>wrote:

      > I went to Divine Liturgy for the Exaltation of the Cross last night. Very
      > informative. And to be honest, it was the most "Christ-centred"
      > "Cross-focused" sermon I've heard in a long time.

      > Christopher Orr <xcjorr@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > The Lutheranism I grew up in often referred to the differences between a
      > > theology of the cross and a theology of glory. Ben Harju discusses this
      > > difference here<
      > http://paredwka.blogspot.com/2010/06/theologians-of-cross-glory-and.html
      > >and
      > > here<
      > http://paredwka.blogspot.com/2010/08/accused-again-theology-of-glory.html>
      >
      > > .
      > >
      > > Given that today is the Feast of the Exaltation of the Cross, I thought
      > it
      > > important to point out a few things.
      > >
      > > First, there are 3 major feasts of the Cross throughout the year: today's
      > > feast of the Universal Exaltation and Elevation of the Precious and
      > > Life-Giving Cross<
      > http://ocafs.oca.org/FeastSaintsViewer.asp?SID=4&ID=1&FSID=102610
      > >(September
      > > 14), Great
      > > and Holy Friday<
      > http://ocafs.oca.org/FeastSaintsViewer.asp?SID=4&ID=1&FSID=25>(Good
      >
      > > Friday), and the Procession
      > > of the Venerable Wood of the Life-Creating Cross of the
      > > Lord<http://ocafs.oca.org/FeastSaintsViewer.asp?SID=4&ID=1&FSID=102161
      > >(August
      >
      > > 1).
      > >
      > > In addition, there are approximately 56 mini-feasts of the Cross
      > throughout
      > > the year: each and every Friday of the year. The Octoechos (Paraklitiki)
      > > texts written by St. John of Damascus that form a major part of the
      > > 'regular' moveable portions of the daily cycle of services revolve around
      > > the Cross on Fridays. There are eight sets of texts for Fridays - one for
      > > each of the eight 'tones', melodies or modes used in alternation
      > throughout
      > > the year. A selection of weekly hymns for the Cross can be found
      > > here<http://anastasis.org.uk/friday_matins.htm>and
      > > here <http://anastasis.org.uk/friday_matins1.htm>.
      >

      > > To read at least some of the Cross texts used in the September 14
      > services
      > > of the Orthodox Church see
      > > here<
      > http://www.oca.org/PDF/liturgicaltexts/09.September/2010-0914-texts.doc>
      >
      > > .
      > >
      > > Fr. Stephen Freeman also has a very good reflection on the Cross and the
      > > Mystery of Salvation
      > > here<
      > http://fatherstephen.wordpress.com/2010/09/13/the-cross-of-christ-2/>
      > > .

    • mrthatoneguy92
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 14, 2010
        Where would I find the information for Vespers and Orthos for the Feast?

        Because of my work, I have little chance to attend church (let alone an Orthodox Divine Liturgy!). Thus, I go to what I can.

        I agree with your comments about how Trinitarian the service is. And the parts about Mary as well. Still, I'm not saying "Oh Holy Theotokos, save us!" quite yet. I do not plan on making any such invocations until I decide which camp I'm going to pitch tent in. I'm not fond of cafeteria religion.

        But, back to the main subject... *is guilty for going off track*

        --- In LutheransLookingEast@yahoogroups.com, Christopher Orr <xcjorr@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > > > texts written by St. John of Damascus that form a major part of the
        > > > 'regular' moveable portions of the daily cycle of services revolve around
        > > > the Cross on Fridays. There are eight sets of texts for Fridays - one for
        > > > each of the eight 'tones', melodies or modes used in alternation
        > > throughout
        > > > the year. A selection of weekly hymns for the Cross can be found
        > > > here<http://anastasis.org.uk/friday_matins.htm>and
        > > > here <http://anastasis.org.uk/friday_matins1.htm>.
        > >

        > > > To read at least some of the Cross texts used in the September 14
        > > services
        > > > of the Orthodox Church see
        > > > here<
        > > http://www.oca.org/PDF/liturgicaltexts/09.September/2010-0914-texts.doc>
        > >
        > > > .
        > > >
        > > > Fr. Stephen Freeman also has a very good reflection on the Cross and the

      • mrthatoneguy92
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 14, 2010
          P.S.- I find it interesting also that the Feast of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross was my third Liturgy I attended. God sure works in mysterious ways...

        • xcjorr@gmail.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 14, 2010
            The service texts can be found here:

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 14, 2010
              You can also find a more limited selection of hymns for the feast here:

              http://books.google.com/books?id=hVIXAAAAYAAJ&dq=hapgood%20service%20book&pg=PA167#v=onepage&q&f=false

              and the a general service to the Cross here:

              http://books.google.com/books?id=VgfZAAAAMAAJ&dq=menaion&pg=PA24#v=onepage&q&f=false

              Christopher