Ex-Lutheran Abbot

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 2, 2010
      I just discovered that Igumen Tryphon (Parsons), Abbot of All-Merciful
      Saviour Monastery <http://www.vashonmonks.com/> (ROCOR), Vashon Island, WA,
      is a convert from Lutheranism - and not just any Lutheranism, but
      WELS<http://www.wels.net/>and then
      CLC <http://clclutheran.org/>! Visit Fr. Tryphon's
      blog<http://morningoffering.blogspot.com/>and the monastery
      website, and order Monastery Blend C <http://vashonmonks.com/coffee.htm>
      offee <http://vashonmonks.com/coffee.htm>.

      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 2, 2010
        I got the sense that he was raised WELS and then CLC; perhaps he became LCMS
        later in life or when he went to college, etc. Outside of the Midwest it
        can be hard to get to the 'right' kind of Lutheran church. I ran into that
        problem in Boston and New York, and just had a conversation with my mom
        about it when they were visiting PA. My sister had the same problem going
        to college in Europe. Perhaps the same was the case in WA or wherever Fr.
        Tryphon lived at different times in his life.

        One thing we can all agree on is he wasn't ELCA! :)

        (I'm getting flashbacks of that episode of *Cheers*... Incidentally, the
        initial Monastery grounds on Vashon Is. were donated by John Ratzenberger,
        Cliff on *Cheers*.)

        Christopher

        On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 2:45 PM, Richard K. Futrell <
        PastorFutrell@...> wrote:

        > Christopher et al:
        >
        > I met Fr. Tryphon years ago. The monastary blends coffee. The
        > blends are not cheap but they are good!
        >
        > When we talked, he told me he was raised in the LC-MS. So he
        > obviously traveled the more-and-more conservative road (at least in
        > Lutheran terms) before he swam the Bosphorus.
        >
        > It would be interesting to read about his journey East.
        >
        > --
        > Rich Futrell, Pastor
        >

        > Quoting Christopher Orr :
        >
        > I just discovered that Igumen Tryphon (Parsons), Abbot of All-Merciful
        > Saviour Monastery (ROCOR), Vashon Island, WA,
        > is a convert from Lutheranism - and not just any Lutheranism, but
        > WELSand then
        >
        > CLC ! Visit Fr. Tryphon's
        > blogand the monastery
        >
        > website, and order Monastery Blend C
        > offee .

      • Rebecca Wilson
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 2, 2010
          Hello, Christopher,

          Is, "Incidentally, the initial Monastery grounds on Vashon Is. were donated by John Ratzenberger, Cliff on *Cheers*", TRUE?!

          Rebecca

        • xcjorr@gmail.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 2, 2010
            Yup, it's on the website: John and Georgia Ratzenberger. Don't know what the connection was then, or now.