My monastic search

  • Dave Naess
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 15, 2010
      Howdy!

      It's been a while so I thought that I would bring you up to date.

      I got turned down by New Skete Monastery in NY after making my Formal Application for Consideration.

      St. Gregory Palamas in OH turned my down sight unseen about a week ago sight unseen because I was too old and told me to expect more of the same.

      The same day I sent a letter of introduction (well... an e-mail) to Igumen Sergius of St. Tikhon's Monastery in PA. That same day I got a response inviting me to go down to St. Tikhon's for "one or two weeks" and talk about my vocation.

      So... I'm off to St. Tikhon's on Monday (June 21.)

      In my experience to date, 3 days is the normal and 7 days was the maximum -- that was due to the fact that I was exploring a vocation.

      St. Tikhon's has a new puppy, at least I learned how to clean out puppy kennels while I was at New Skete! ;->

      Dave
    • xcjorr@gmail.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 15, 2010
        Sorry to hear that. God works in mysterious ways. The financial practicalities of monasticism in the US are tough. Fr Sergius is a good (young) man. Depending on when we get back from the midwest, I may see you at st tikhons - we have a place an hour away.

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 15, 2010
          I am rather familiar with St Gregory Palamas...they do get a lot of interest from men who are interested in becoming monastics without really understanding what that life is about....so I think pretty much anyone who hasn't visited will be turned down initially, in order to save all parties unnecessary pain.

          That doesn't mean they will be turned down after becoming established in the faith in a parish and repeated visits...but I would guess (and it's only a guess! I'm not the superior, or even close to the superior) that's the only way to do it at this monastery.

          Meanwhile, wherever your pilgrimage will lead you, God will bless you beyond your wildest imaginings. I can tell you THAT with all certainty.

          R.

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 19, 2010
            Howdy R!

            I had been going to New Skete for about a year before I made a Formal Application for Consideration, so I have had a fairly good chance to find out what the monastic life is all about.

            It seems as if I am being lead away from the Greek monasteries. St. Tikhon's is the second OCA monastery that I am considering. The Ephriamite monasteries are out as far as I am concerned (after a visit to St. Nektarios.) Next on my list after St. Tikhon's is Holy Trinity in Jordanville, NY -- a ROCOR monastary associated with the ROCOR Seminary.

            Ever forward!

            Dave

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 19, 2010
              Yes, I realize you've spent time looking into monasticism and understand the life...but St Gregory Palamas has had a number of fellows who have never visited a monastery show up at the bus station ready to become novices...and so my guess is that they treat all potential postulants with great caution.

              St John Cassian relates that people who were interested in becoming postulants in the monasteries of Egypt (circa 400) had to lie outside the monastery doors for days just to show their commitment.

              I heard a long-time nun tell a fellow like you who was firmly nixed by one monastery to try another monastery, as you're doing....

              But I can hardly give advice. Even if I were single and young I wouldn't choose to voluntarily take on the asceticism and labor of a monk.

              I have read and heard that discerning one's calling isn't always easy...Elder Paisios of Mt Athos, who was extremely clairvoyant, couldn't tell a young man whether God wanted him to be a monk or not. (THE GURUS, THE YOUNG MAN AND ELDER PAISIOS, the biggest page-turner I've ever opened.) When God doesn't immediately reveal our path in a case like yours, I think, it's because the process of discerning which path is full of blessings itself.

              BTW, I'll be on a pilgrimage to St Tikhon's July 4th, if you happen to still be there--

              In Christ,

              R.