Re: [LutheransLookingEast] Titus 1 and pastors/elders/overseers

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 20, 2010
      Here is something I think you'll find interesting. It is a quote by St John Chrysostom, from around 400, in which he discusses the interchanging of terms related to clergy in the NT.

      It is important to bear the Greek in mind!! In Greek a "diakonos" is a "servant," and a "presbyter" is an elder. While the church had a threefold ministry quite early---as we see in the epistles of Ignatius---the terms "diakonos" and "presbyteros" maintained their meanings as 'servant' and 'elder.' So, as you'll see, bishops were still referring to themselves as "diakonoi" and "presbyteroi" for centuries after the NT was written. You can't take this use of terms as evidence of a presbyterian ecclesiology!

      ---And please note that Titus 1:5 does not state that Paul will ordain bishops, but that Titus will. Titus was a bishop. The fathers are quite unanimous on that.

      I'm not sure where people get the idea the NT church was a bunch of congregations with voters but no hierarchy...unless it was from Enlightenment propaganda. Anyone can see---as you touched on---that the apostles were over the NT Church. If there were people over the church during the NT era, why wouldn't there be people over the Church after the NT era? It makes no sense.

      A Lutheran pastor on this site mentioned one time that he'd counted, and around two-thirds of the Lutheran churches in the world have bishops.

      Here's the quote from St John. (Chrysostom, by the way, can be considered the greatest Greek scholar of his age; he was archbishop of Constantinople, which is equivalent of leading patriarch, and the most influential exegete of the Church for 1600 years.)

      +

      “To the fellow-Bishops and Deacons.” What is this? were there several Bishops of one city? Certainly not; but he called the Presbyters so. For then they still interchanged the titles, and the Bishop was called a diakonos. For this cause in writing to Timothy, he said, “Fulfil thy ministry,” when he was a Bishop. For that he was a Bishop appears by his saying to him, “Lay hands hastily on no man.” (1 Tim. v. 22.) And again, “Which was given thee with the laying on of the hands of the Presbytery.” (1 Tim. iv. 14.) Yet Presbyters would not have laid hands on a Bishop.

      And again, in writing to Titus, he says, “For this cause I left thee in Crete, that thou shouldest appoint in every city, as I gave thee charge. If any man is blameless, the husband of one wife” (Tit. i. 5, 6.); which he says of the Bishop. And after saying this, he adds immediately, “For the Bishop must be blameless, as God’s steward, not self willed.” (Tit. i. 7.) So then, as I said, both the Presbyters were of old called Bishops and Deacons of Christ, and the Bishops Presbyters; and hence EVEN NOW many Bishops write, “To my fellow-Presbyter,” and, “To my fellow-Deacon.” But otherwise the specific name is distinctly appropriated to each, the Bishop and the Presbyter. “To the fellow-Bishops,” he says, “and Deacons”...

      Here, as writing to those of equal honor, [Paul] does not set down his
      rank of Teacher, but another, and that a great one. And what is that?
      He calls himself a “servant,” and not an Apostle. For great truly is
      this rank too, and the sum of all good things, to be a servant of
      Christ, and not merely to be called so. “The servant of Christ,” this
      is truly a free man in respect to sin, and being a genuine servant, he
      is not a servant to any other, since he would not be Christ’s servant,
      but by halves. And in again writing to the Romans also, he says, “Paul,
      a servant of Jesus Christ.” (Rom. i. 1.) But writing to the Corinthians
      and to Timothy he calls himself an “Apostle.” On what account then is
      this? Not because they were superior to Timothy. Far from it. But
      rather he honors them, and shows them attention, beyond all others to
      whom he wrote. For he also bears witness to great virtue in them. For
      besides, there indeed he was about to order many things, and therefore
      assumed his rank as an Apostle. But here he gives them no injunctions
      but such as they could perceive of themselves...

      Homily I on Philippians, NPNF Series I Vol. 13, p. 184