Re: [LutheransLookingEast] ALPB book

  • Benjamin Harju
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 17, 2010
      David,

      Perhaps you are describing "Salvation in Christ: a Lutheran-Orthodox
      Dialogue." It's not from ALBP, but it does treat on the area of
      doctrinal dialogue. I read this a few years ago, and it was likewise
      helpful to me. One of the contributors was also a presenter at the
      Colloquium for Lutherans held a couple years back.

      If this is what you are trying to find, Amazon lists it at
      http://www.amazon.com/Salvation-Christ-Lutheran-Orthodox-Robert-Tobias/dp/0806625805
      . It's not too costly, and even if you were looking for something
      else, I recommend it to the readers of this list.

      On 1/16/10, DAVID TINKER <davidtinker@...> wrote:

      > A few years ago I saw a copy of book published, I think, by American
      > Lutheran Publicity Bureau (ALPB, Lutheran Forum) about Lutheranism and
      > Eastern Orthodoxy.  When I looked on the ALPB web site recently I could not
      > find anything about it.  I've tried to see if Amazon.com used books might
      > have it, but to no avail.  I asked some colleagues about this, but nobody
      > remembered it. Maybe some of you all might know of this book, how to find
      > it, if it is worth a read, etc.  Regrettably, I do not have a title to share
      > with you.
      >
      > This book, although I didn't get to read it, was a major spark in my
      > pondering regarding Eastern Orthodoxy.  Another was when, a few years ago,
      > the men's group at our church hosted the local OCA priest who gave a
      > presentation about the Orthodox Church.
      >
      > Thanks for you warm welcome and your help in my quest.
      >
      > - David Tinker

    • David Tinker
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 17, 2010
        It might be the book, but the cover at Amazon looks different. I think it had an icon on the cover. I will look into it more. It could be helpful even if it is a different book.

        -David Tinker

        On Jan 17, 2010, at 9:14 PM, Benjamin Harju <benjamin.harju@...> wrote:

        David,

        Perhaps you are describing "Salvation in Christ: a Lutheran-Orthodox
        Dialogue." It's not from ALBP, but it does treat on the area of
        doctrinal dialogue. I read this a few years ago, and it was likewise
        helpful to me. One of the contributors was also a presenter at the
        Colloquium for Lutherans held a couple years back.

        If this is what you are trying to find, Amazon lists it at
        http://www.amazon.com/Salvation-Christ-Lutheran-Orthodox-Robert-Tobias/dp/0806625805
        . It's not too costly, and even if you were looking for something
        else, I recommend it to the readers of this list.

        On 1/16/10, DAVID TINKER <davidtinker@...> wrote:

        > A few years ago I saw a copy of book published, I think, by American
        > Lutheran Publicity Bureau (ALPB, Lutheran Forum) about Lutheranism and
        > Eastern Orthodoxy. When I looked on the ALPB web site recently I could not
        > find anything about it. I've tried to see if Amazon.com used books might
        > have it, but to no avail. I asked some colleagues about this, but nobody
        > remembered it. Maybe some of you all might know of this book, how to find
        > it, if it is worth a read, etc. Regrettably, I do not have a title to share
        > with you.
        >
        > This book, although I didn't get to read it, was a major spark in my
        > pondering regarding Eastern Orthodoxy. Another was when, a few years ago,
        > the men's group at our church hosted the local OCA priest who gave a
        > presentation about the Orthodox Church.
        >
        > Thanks for you warm welcome and your help in my quest.
        >
        > - David Tinker

      • dkwiech
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 18, 2010
          I am in the middle of reading this book, which I did get from Amazon's used sellers list. It's definitely a good read, and faithfully and honestly addresses salvation as taught by the confessional Lutherans and also by the Orthodox Church. There's no attempt to blur lines but it does address the commonalities. The book is laid out as a series of theological papers by different authors. Unfortunately the book is old and not well glued and the pages are literally falling out of it now. I think it was sitting on a shelf somewhere for the last 20 years. Hopefully I'll get to the end of it before it disintegrates into dust. :o)

          David

          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 18, 2010
            It's also a common back at any major library, public or academic. I
            remember reading parts of it at the NY Public Library many moons ago. I had
            also found it at the UCLA library.

            Christopher

            On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 11:17 AM, dkwiech <reddogzrule@...> wrote:

            > I am in the middle of reading this book, which I did get from Amazon's used
            > sellers list. It's definitely a good read, and faithfully and honestly
            > addresses salvation as taught by the confessional Lutherans and also by the
            > Orthodox Church. There's no attempt to blur lines but it does address the
            > commonalities. The book is laid out as a series of theological papers by
            > different authors. Unfortunately the book is old and not well glued and the
            > pages are literally falling out of it now. I think it was sitting on a shelf
            > somewhere for the last 20 years. Hopefully I'll get to the end of it before
            > it disintegrates into dust. :o)
            >
            > David

            > David Tinker <davidtinker@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > It might be the book, but the cover at Amazon looks different. I think it
            > had an icon on the cover. I will look into it more. It could be helpful even
            > if it is a different book.
            > >
            > > -David Tinker
            > >
            > > On Jan 17, 2010, at 9:14 PM, Benjamin Harju <benjamin.harju@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > David,
            > >
            > > Perhaps you are describing "Salvation in Christ: a Lutheran-Orthodox
            > > Dialogue." It's not from ALBP, but it does treat on the area of
            > > doctrinal dialogue. I read this a few years ago, and it was likewise
            > > helpful to me. One of the contributors was also a presenter at the
            > > Colloquium for Lutherans held a couple years back.
            > >
            > > If this is what you are trying to find, Amazon lists it at
            > >
            > http://www.amazon.com/Salvation-Christ-Lutheran-Orthodox-Robert-Tobias/dp/0806625805
            > > . It's not too costly, and even if you were looking for something
            > > else, I recommend it to the readers of this list.
            > >
            > > In Christ,
            > > Benjamin Harju
            > >
            > > On 1/16/10, DAVID TINKER <davidtinker@...> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > A few years ago I saw a copy of book published, I think, by American
            > > > Lutheran Publicity Bureau (ALPB, Lutheran Forum) about Lutheranism and
            > > > Eastern Orthodoxy. When I looked on the ALPB web site recently I could
            > not
            > > > find anything about it. I've tried to see if Amazon.com used books
            > might
            > > > have it, but to no avail. I asked some colleagues about this, but
            > nobody
            > > > remembered it. Maybe some of you all might know of this book, how to
            > find
            > > > it, if it is worth a read, etc. Regrettably, I do not have a title to
            > share
            > > > with you.
            > > >
            > > > This book, although I didn't get to read it, was a major spark in my
            > > > pondering regarding Eastern Orthodoxy. Another was when, a few years
            > ago,
            > > > the men's group at our church hosted the local OCA priest who gave a
            > > > presentation about the Orthodox Church.
            > > >
            > > > Thanks for you warm welcome and your help in my quest.
            > > >
            > > > - David Tinker

          • jayedenne
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 18, 2010
              The ALPB book is called "Heaven on Earth: A Lutheran-Orthodox Odyssey" by Robert Tobias. It went out of print about a year ago. I called the ALPB and bought the last of their stock because I used it to start a discussion group here in Sioux City involving some of the local ELCA clergy, an Orthodox priest and layman (who is also a former Presbyterian pastor).

              It served as a pretty good introduction and stimulated some interesting discussion.
            • David Tinker
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 18, 2010
                Thank you for the update on the book status. I found a good condition used copy on Amazon for a dollar plus shipping.

                -David Tinker
                Ohio