Re: [LutheransLookingEast] Question concerning Mannermaa

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 16, 2010
      I read a book on the subject..."Union with Christ: The New Finnish
      Interpretation of Luther"

      http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0802844421/ref=cap_pdp_dp_0

      Quite honestly I think it is a bit of a stretch but I certainly appreciate
      the desire to try to bring the concept of Theosis into Lutheranism. When I
      was a Lutheran, I tried too!

      Welcome, David! Chronia Polla! (as the Greeks say).-----R

      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 16, 2010
        I found importing theosis didn't get me anywhere, either...no matter how many Theosis-Paks I handed out. I don't think it really fits into a theology and piety built on law/gospel.

        R.

        ________________________________
        I read a book on the subject..."Union with Christ: The New Finnish
        Interpretation of Luther"

        http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0802844421/ref=cap_pdp_dp_0

        Quite honestly I think it is a bit of a stretch but I certainly appreciate
        the desire to try to bring the concept of Theosis into Lutheranism. When I
        was a Lutheran, I tried too!

        Welcome, David! Chronia Polla! (as the Greeks say).-----R

        ________________________________

      • Benjamin Harju
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 17, 2010
          The Finnish school of thought regarding Luther was being talked about
          when I left CTS 5.5 years ago. The general feeling then was that,
          while touching upon some rather overlooked aspects of Luther's
          un-systematized theology, the school was stretching things a bit.
          Since Luther never really had any quality exposure or dialogue with
          Holy Orthodoxy in and of itself, one can only guess at his response to
          some of the Finnish school's interpretations.

          That's always been one of the nice things about Luther, though: he's
          not a neat and clean theologian. Like St. Augustine he tends to
          overstate his point to achieve his objectives.

          P.S.
          We're newly Chrismated, too: 19 Dec 2009
          http://paredwka.blogspot.com/2009/12/chrismated.html