St. Nikolai Velimirovich on Faith/Works

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 8, 2010
      St. Nikolai Velimirovich on
      Faith/Works<http://anongd.blogspot.com/2010/01/st-nikolai-velimirovich-on-faithworks.html>
      From Is God Anonymous?<http://anongd.blogspot.com/2010/01/st-nikolai-velimirovich-on-faithworks.html><http://anongd.blogspot.com/2010/01/st-nikolai-velimirovich-on-faithworks.html>

      *Prayers by the Lake, *LXXXIII

      People carry on foolish conversations as soon as they move away from Your
      presence, my Wisdom. Those without faith speak about works, and those
      without works speak about faith.

      Each disparages what he does not have, and what he does have he proclaims
      throughout the marketplace.

      While You, O Lord, are filling my home with Your life-creating breath, I
      always forget to ask which is more important -- faith or works? As soon as I
      offend You and feel abandoned by You, I angrily enter into people's
      discussions, and support one side or the other.

      For without You I am like a weather vane on a chimney that rattles in the
      direction of the wind. When the wind of faith rises in my soul, I stand with
      those who have abandoned works and championed faith; when the wind of
      activity rises in my soul, I support the side of those who have abandoned
      faith and championed works.

      But in Your all-calming presence there is no wind, no swaying, no "doing
      things." I neither feel faith nor see works; instead I feel and see only
      You, the living God. In truth, You are not my faith but my vision. And You
      are not my doing, but I am Your doing. And again I say: You are not my faith
      but I am Your faith, and Your trust.

      And so I teach those around me who are carrying on the debate: whoever has
      true faith in the Living God prefers to remain silent. And whoever performs
      a true work of God, prefers to remain silent. But whoever shuts up his faith
      with his mind, gladly squabbles about faith. And whoever does his own work
      and not God's gladly boasts of his works.

      Deep is the tranquility of the soul in a man of faith, deeper than the
      tranquility at the bottom of the sea. For God's Wisdom is born and resides
      in deep tranquility.

      Deep is the tranquility in the tongue of one who does God's work, deeper
      than the tranquility of the iron in the heart of a mountain. For whoever
      does the work of another listens to instructions and carries them out,
      moreover he listens, and has no time to speak.

      I speak believing in works: Is not my prayer a working and reworking of my
      very self? Is not the whole world within me, from beginning to end, together
      with all the world's poverty and impurity? Truly I am not without works,
      when I sweat and weep in prayer, but am immersed in the weighty task of
      helping the poor in my soul -- healing the sick and casting out the unclean
      spirits from my soul.

      I speak believing in faith: Do I not awaken faith in my neighbors through
      the good works that I do?

      Is not my work in the world the song of my faith, the psalm of one saved
      among the unsaved? Who would stop the song in the throat of a brimming soul?
      Who would stop a brimming spring from flowing? Would the nymphs who guard
      the spring quarrel with the nymphs in the spring's stream over which water
      is more beneficial? Truly, if there were no spring, there would be no
      stream.

      O my Lord, do not go far away from me, lest my soul succumb to meaningless
      quarrels. Silence in Your presence expands my soul; discussions in Your
      absence shrink her and expend her to the thinness of a boon of flax.

      I listened last time to the people squabbling, and You waved your hands and
      went far away. Indeed, those who truly have faith do not squabble with those
      who are true doers of Your work. This is the quarrel of servants with little
      faith and much ill will. Those who are of little faith squabble with the
      errand boys of the world. They are a dried-up spring quarrelling with a
      dried-out stream.

      While they were full, they both used to sing a true song of joy, and
      joyfully used to hail each other.

      But this is a malicious believer quarrelling with a malicious doer. What do
      I have in common with them? What ties me to them except compassion, which
      flows forth from Your radiance?

      Fill the house of my soul, O Life-Creating Spirit, so that I may become
      blind and not see angry squabbling people, and so that I may be deaf to
      their foolish discussion.

      They have slipped away from You, my Joy, therefore they engage in foolish
      discussions.

      I bow down and beseech You, tie my soul across the thousands of sunbeams to
      You, lest she slip away from You, and plunge into the cold abyss.