Re: [LutheransLookingEast] Re: A response to Christopher's brutally honest 'Self-Critique'

  • Anastasia Theodoridis
    Message 1 of 15 , May 9, 2007
      Dear Andrew,

      First let me say that I VERY, very much sympathize with your problem and certainly have shared it.

      My husband loves me very, very much and of that there is absolutely no doubt. But he's Greek. Which means that if I were to add up all the time of my life I've ever spent waiting for him to show up, usually 45 minutes late, the total would be about six years of my life (out of the 21 I've known him).

      Many people really do love Christ more than the weakness of the flesh permits them to show. The disciples fell asleep while Christ was undergoing agony. Peter denied Him.

      The danger for you is that at this rate you may never find a parish worthy enough -- anywhere, Orthodox or heterodox, and you may end up totally churchless. It happens.

      The cure, many times, is when God allows us to fall into some blockbuster sin that appalls and mortifies us and makes the sins of everyone else around us suddenly seem utterly inconsequential, almost laughable.

      Or else to discover I already harbor exactly such sins and can't afford to bother about anyone else's.

      All the best! Enjoy the current idyllic situation with which God has seen fit to bless you.

      Anastasia
    • Andrew
      Message 2 of 15 , May 11, 2007
        Anastasia,

        Thank you for your thoughtful reply. You are, of course, correct.

        Pray for me if I come to mind, even if it's only every now and then.

        Andrew.

        --- In LutheransLookingEast@yahoogroups.com, Anastasia Theodoridis
        <anastasiatheo01@...> wrote:

        > Dear Andrew,
        >
        > First let me say that I VERY, very much sympathize with your problem
        and certainly have shared it.

        > My husband loves me very, very much and of that there is absolutely
        no doubt. But he's Greek. Which means that if I were to add up all
        the time of my life I've ever spent waiting for him to show up,
        usually 45 minutes late, the total would be about six years of my life
        (out of the 21 I've known him).

        > Many people really do love Christ more than the weakness of the
        flesh permits them to show. The disciples fell asleep while Christ
        was undergoing agony. Peter denied Him.

        > The danger for you is that at this rate you may never find a parish
        worthy enough -- anywhere, Orthodox or heterodox, and you may end up
        totally churchless. It happens.

        > The cure, many times, is when God allows us to fall into some
        blockbuster sin that appalls and mortifies us and makes the sins of
        everyone else around us suddenly seem utterly inconsequential, almost
        laughable.

        > Or else to discover I already harbor exactly such sins and can't
        afford to bother about anyone else's.

        > All the best! Enjoy the current idyllic situation with which God
        has seen fit to bless you.

        > Anastasia

      • Anastasia Theodoridis
        Message 3 of 15 , May 11, 2007
          Oh, I'd forgotten I wrote that, Andrew. Please forgive me for having been a little harsh when the whole point was we ought to go easy on one another. Sure, I'll pray for you and please pray for me, too.

          love in Christ,

        • herrdave2_prime
          Message 4 of 15 , May 22, 2007
            Is there a link to Christopher's brutally honest 'Self-Critique'?
          • Eric Perich
            Message 5 of 15 , May 22, 2007
              http://orrologion.blogspot.com/2007/05/self-critique.html