Re: [LutheransLookingEast] Re: "Third Function/Use" of the Law & Orthodoxy

    Message 1 of 40 , Nov 6, 2009
      I've been giving though to this post, though logistics have prevented my responding sooner.

      Remember that we believe salvation is completely by the grace of God, too...period, period, period.  No, we don't rely on works.  In fact, in the evening prayers prescribed for the faithful we pray that He grant us "a begining of good works" every night till we die.

      I think the difference here is what to do when a spiritual challenge socks you on the forehead, as they seem to do so frequently.

      We do not run to the fact that Jesus died for us.   He died for Judas Iscariot, too, and a fat lot of good that did him.

      Instead, we run to confess our sins to a priest, receive the body and blood of Christ, and get back to the trenches.  "Be the more zealous to confirm your call and election, and you will never fall," II Pet 1:10.

      We humans need that strengthening from God.  Mentally repeating some spiritual fact just doesn't cut it as the demons attack us day after day.

      We may need to confess weekly, or even more often.  There is no substitute for that relief as the demons try do destroy us.  This is where Jesus's dying for us really brings such refreshment.  That refreshment is not some "enthusiast" longing for emotion....Scripture explicitly says that where there is true forgiveness there is no longer any consciousness of sin (Heb 10:2).  If mentally confessing to God were enough, it would bring that same relief, and you wouldn't have to do mental gymnastics to feel forgiven.

      The effect of Eucharist is something you feel on a very deep level with our spirituality.  Preparation includes serious prayer (the longest set takes over an hour), a public service that is not rushed and has repeated lengthy petitions...since Comunion is not just a mental happening but involves the whole being, we include fasting from the night before and bows, the sign of the cross, etc.  We treat His actual Body and Blood with great reverence; if any accidentally falls on the floor the priest consumes it off the floor and the remainder is burnt.  If it fall on carpe, the carpet is cut away and burned...it would be greatly impious to walk all over Christ's own body and blood. (That's why we usually receive Communion over a hard floor, or a small rug.)

      I don't want to step on any toes, so I'll note here that I'm speaking for myself.  A shot-glass and wafer every two weeks simply just didn't cut it for me, especially when any of His Body and Blood left over were poured into a wine bottle, preparation consisted of an optional "I know I'm a sinner and I know He forgives me" self-statement and three sentences of prayers from the front of the hymnal.

      What I found was that my Lutheran habit of always reverting to telling myself "it's OK, Jesus died for me" was a ticket to getting nowhere.

      I feel like I'm forgetting a lot, but perhaps this will help anyhow--

      R.

      Message 40 of 40 , Feb 10, 2010
        Hello,
        This is my first time posting anything, so forgive me if I mess anything up.

        Re Predestination/Election etc, readers may find useful Ben Witherington's "The Problem with Evangelical Theology", which has a few detailed chapters on predestination/grace/election. He hits Calvinism pretty hard, Lutheranism to a degree, and while he is Protestant, his analysis of those topics seem to be rather Eastern.

        Also, the excellent work by Dr. Farrell, "Free Choice in St. Maximus the Confessor" is, if you can find it, a gem of a read on these topics.

        "Salvation in Christ: A Lutheran Orthodox Dialogue" addresses these issues, too. And you can find it for under a buck online.
        Yours in Him,
        Matt H.