Re: [LutheransLookingEast] Re: A response to Christopher's brutally honest 'Self-Critique'

  • Brian Fink
    Message 1 of 15 , May 9, 2007
      Dear Drew,
      Ahhhhh Greek time.... Yes it is down right annoying and believe me here at the Greek sem we should have a class devoted to fighting it. Apparently this problem has been around for centuries. I remember hearing about a priest back in the 6-700s (or a long time ago in an empire far far way), whose parishoners would come to church but stand in the narthex to talk. He started doing the services in the narthex.

      Brian

      Andrew <drew1095950@...> wrote:
      Anastasia,

      > Then what?

      I don't mind if one, or two, or even several parishioners show up
      late. But come on -- 80% That doesn't say good things about the life
      of that parish.

      Think of it this way: If you loved your husband (which you undoubtedly
      do), and you had a weekly dinner date with him, would you show up an
      hour late, week in and week out? Of course not. If you did, one would
      rightly question your love for your husband, no?

      I think the analogy fits. If these people loved God, why in the world
      do they neglect the Divine Liturgy as they do?

      Andrew.

    • Jeremy Finck
      Message 2 of 15 , May 9, 2007
        heehee
        that's awesome :-)

        On 5/9/07, Brian Fink <brfinkster@...> wrote:

        > Dear Drew,
        > Ahhhhh Greek time.... Yes it is down right annoying and believe me here at
        > the Greek sem we should have a class devoted to fighting it. Apparently this
        > problem has been around for centuries. I remember hearing about a priest
        > back in the 6-700s (or a long time ago in an empire far far way), whose
        > parishoners would come to church but stand in the narthex to talk. He
        > started doing the services in the narthex.
        >
        > Brian
        >
        > Andrew <drew1095950@... <drew1095950%40yahoo.com>> wrote:
        > Anastasia,
        >
        > > Then what?
        >
        > I don't mind if one, or two, or even several parishioners show up
        > late. But come on -- 80% That doesn't say good things about the life
        > of that parish.
        >
        > Think of it this way: If you loved your husband (which you undoubtedly
        > do), and you had a weekly dinner date with him, would you show up an
        > hour late, week in and week out? Of course not. If you did, one would
        > rightly question your love for your husband, no?
        >
        > I think the analogy fits. If these people loved God, why in the world
        > do they neglect the Divine Liturgy as they do?
        >
        > Andrew.

      • Anastasia Theodoridis
        Message 3 of 15 , May 9, 2007
          Dear Andrew,

          First let me say that I VERY, very much sympathize with your problem and certainly have shared it.

          My husband loves me very, very much and of that there is absolutely no doubt. But he's Greek. Which means that if I were to add up all the time of my life I've ever spent waiting for him to show up, usually 45 minutes late, the total would be about six years of my life (out of the 21 I've known him).

          Many people really do love Christ more than the weakness of the flesh permits them to show. The disciples fell asleep while Christ was undergoing agony. Peter denied Him.

          The danger for you is that at this rate you may never find a parish worthy enough -- anywhere, Orthodox or heterodox, and you may end up totally churchless. It happens.

          The cure, many times, is when God allows us to fall into some blockbuster sin that appalls and mortifies us and makes the sins of everyone else around us suddenly seem utterly inconsequential, almost laughable.

          Or else to discover I already harbor exactly such sins and can't afford to bother about anyone else's.

          All the best! Enjoy the current idyllic situation with which God has seen fit to bless you.

          Anastasia
        • Andrew
          Message 4 of 15 , May 11, 2007
            Anastasia,

            Thank you for your thoughtful reply. You are, of course, correct.

            Pray for me if I come to mind, even if it's only every now and then.

            Andrew.

            --- In LutheransLookingEast@yahoogroups.com, Anastasia Theodoridis
            <anastasiatheo01@...> wrote:

            > Dear Andrew,
            >
            > First let me say that I VERY, very much sympathize with your problem
            and certainly have shared it.

            > My husband loves me very, very much and of that there is absolutely
            no doubt. But he's Greek. Which means that if I were to add up all
            the time of my life I've ever spent waiting for him to show up,
            usually 45 minutes late, the total would be about six years of my life
            (out of the 21 I've known him).

            > Many people really do love Christ more than the weakness of the
            flesh permits them to show. The disciples fell asleep while Christ
            was undergoing agony. Peter denied Him.

            > The danger for you is that at this rate you may never find a parish
            worthy enough -- anywhere, Orthodox or heterodox, and you may end up
            totally churchless. It happens.

            > The cure, many times, is when God allows us to fall into some
            blockbuster sin that appalls and mortifies us and makes the sins of
            everyone else around us suddenly seem utterly inconsequential, almost
            laughable.

            > Or else to discover I already harbor exactly such sins and can't
            afford to bother about anyone else's.

            > All the best! Enjoy the current idyllic situation with which God
            has seen fit to bless you.

            > Anastasia

          • Anastasia Theodoridis
            Message 5 of 15 , May 11, 2007
              Oh, I'd forgotten I wrote that, Andrew. Please forgive me for having been a little harsh when the whole point was we ought to go easy on one another. Sure, I'll pray for you and please pray for me, too.

              love in Christ,

            • herrdave2_prime
              Message 6 of 15 , May 22, 2007
                Is there a link to Christopher's brutally honest 'Self-Critique'?
              • Eric Perich
                Message 7 of 15 , May 22, 2007
                  http://orrologion.blogspot.com/2007/05/self-critique.html