St. Hilarion (Troitsky) on "The Holy Scripture and the Church"

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 13, 2009
      A little taste of *The Holy Scripture and the Church* by the new Hieromartyr
      Hilarion (Troitsky), Archbishop of Verey, featured in the newest issue of *The
      Orthodox Word* <http://www.theorthodoxword.com/index.html>:

      ��was the Incarnation of the Only-begotten Son of God necessary only in
      order to write a book and entrust it to mankind? Was it absolutely essential
      for Him to be the Only-begotten Son of God just to write a book? If the
      Church insisted with such determination on the Divine dignity of her
      Founder, then obviously she did not regard writing to be the essence of His
      work. It was the incarnation of the Son of God that was necessary for
      the*salvation
      * of mankind, and not a book. No book is able, nor could it ever have been
      able to save mankind. * *Christ is not the *Teacher* but precisely the *
      Savior* of mankind. It was necessary to regenerate human nature, which had
      become decayed through sin, and the beginning of this regeneration was laid
      by the *very Incarnation* of the Son of God � not by His teaching, not by
      the books of the New Testament."
      http://frmilovan.wordpress.com/2009/10/12/christ-the-author/

    • Mike Bennett
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 13, 2009
        I'll read the entire article, but the exerpt looks like an attack on a straw man. God became man to write a book? Whose belief does that reflect?

        Mike Bennett