Where'd everybody go / I'm off again!

  • howdydave_2000
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 14, 2009
      Helloooo...

      Anybody home??

      Well, come Wednesday and I'm off again for my second visit to New Skete Monastery in Cambridge, NY. This time as an aspirant rather than as an inquirer.

      http://www.newskete.com

      Dave
    • Kimberly Sparling
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 14, 2009
        I'm still here! Our family had a *long* day yesterday, most of it at
        church. Divine Liturgy at 10am, followed by the first week of Sunday school
        for our kids, which lasted an hour. My 8yo twin girls learned how to kiss
        an icon (not on the face, apparently), and they colored a handout sheet
        about St. Helena and how she found the cross in Jerusalem. My 9yo son's
        class is using a big book called "Jesus, the Promise of God" and I am very
        happy with what I am seeing for the first week. It is published by the
        Orthodox Christian Education Commission. In previous SS classes at other
        churches my son didn't like doing busy work. They were even nice enough to
        invite my 21yo son with developmental disabilities to the high school
        class. I am so happy, because he had been asking me if he could go to SS,
        too.
        Anyway, we finally left church around 2pm, got home around 2:30, then had to
        leave again around 4:30 for a 5pm Vespers service for Exaltation of the
        Cross, followed by a BBQ and bonfire at church. The kids really enjoyed it
        and it was very well attended.
        Question: do you wait for the priest to ask if you are interested in
        becoming a catechumen, or do I ask him? I know he is the one who decides if
        you are ready to be chrismated and received into the Church. I have been
        attending with dh and family since the end of July. I have also read the
        books Father suggested, The Spiritual Father and Searching for God in a Land
        of Shallow Wells.
        Thanks,
        Kim

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 14, 2009
          Dave,

          Congrats on your 'aspiration'. May it be blessed.

          Kim,

          Ask your priest about how and if you should proceed in joining the Church.
          He is probably holding off to allow you the space to try Orthodoxy on, see
          if you feel comfortable in the parish, just gather enough experience to have
          questions formulated. There is no rush. Take your time. But, at the same
          time, strike while the iron is hot and don't cool the Spirit. My spiritual
          father put it this way: Take your time, but remember it's later than you
          think. Both parts are important. I liken such things to marriage. Goo-goo
          eyes are important when you are dating, but you shouldn't just go off an
          elope in the first months of new love - it might just be infatuation or
          lust. The marriage is important, too, as is the honeymoon, but a real
          marriage built on solid love will move beyond these early (important) stages
          to something deeper and more stable. You want to catch your breathe and
          your footing; there are things you will be offended by, confused by, hurt by
          in the Orthodox Church - this is partially hidden by the newness of
          everything, but it also hits harder after being worked on by the services
          for awhile (months, years): the heart is softened and hurt more easily, more
          deeply.

          Make sure you are praying - morning and evening, and the Jesus Prayer when
          you can. Just a little something. Ask your priest for a 'rule'. Same with
          fasting. You want to ease into these things doing just a little more than
          you feel comfortable with, just a little, like training for a big race.

          Just the two cents of this layman. Ignore all of it if your priest advises
          something else.

          Christopher

          On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 2:04 PM, Kimberly Sparling <belleartmom@...>wrote:

          > I'm still here! Our family had a *long* day yesterday, most of it at
          > church. Divine Liturgy at 10am, followed by the first week of Sunday school
          > for our kids, which lasted an hour. My 8yo twin girls learned how to kiss
          > an icon (not on the face, apparently), and they colored a handout sheet
          > about St. Helena and how she found the cross in Jerusalem. My 9yo son's
          > class is using a big book called "Jesus, the Promise of God" and I am very
          > happy with what I am seeing for the first week. It is published by the
          > Orthodox Christian Education Commission. In previous SS classes at other
          > churches my son didn't like doing busy work. They were even nice enough to
          > invite my 21yo son with developmental disabilities to the high school
          > class. I am so happy, because he had been asking me if he could go to SS,
          > too.
          > Anyway, we finally left church around 2pm, got home around 2:30, then had
          > leave again around 4:30 for a 5pm Vespers service for Exaltation of the
          > Cross, followed by a BBQ and bonfire at church. The kids really enjoyed it
          > and it was very well attended.
          > Question: do you wait for the priest to ask if you are interested in
          > becoming a catechumen, or do I ask him? I know he is the one who decides if
          > you are ready to be chrismated and received into the Church. I have been
          > attending with dh and family since the end of July. I have also read the
          > books Father suggested, The Spiritual Father and Searching for God in a
          > Land
          > of Shallow Wells.
          > Thanks,
          > Kim
          >
          > On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 12:47 PM, howdydave_2000 <dnaess@...<dnaess%40frontiernet.net>
          > >wrote:
          >

          > > Helloooo...
          > >
          > > Anybody home??
          > >
          > > Well, come Wednesday and I'm off again for my second visit to New Skete
          > > Monastery in Cambridge, NY. This time as an aspirant rather than as an
          > > inquirer.
          > >
          > > http://www.newskete.com
          > >
          > > Dave

        • Benjamin Harju
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 14, 2009
            Christopher,

            You said, "Just the two cents of this layman."

            I didn't think a Reader was technically a layman. I thought being
            tonsured a reader was a minor clerical order.

          • DonPedroGordo
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 14, 2009
              Hei!  Tschüß!  ¡Hola!  Oi!  Ciao!  Hi!
              You are of course correct, Benjamin.
              And in Orthodoxy, a reader is a minor clerix but not so minor a player in the performance of the services.

              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 15, 2009
                Actually, all Orders up to Deacon are officially laity. They are buried as
                laymen. Priests and bishops are buried with a separate service. I think it
                also gets at the difference between the two words in Greek that are often
                translated similarly in English (chero... something).

                Christopher