Re: Asceticism

  • krolechka
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 29, 2007
      Chris is risen!

      I'd like to share a couple of short statements that, I think, shed a
      lot of light on the orthodox approach to asceticism.

      Dorotheos of Gaza:
      How then ought we to make an offering of our bodies as a living
      sacrifice to God? 'By no longer following our physical desires and our
      own ideas' (Eph., 2:3), but 'walking in the spirit and not fulfilling
      the desires of the flesh' (Gal., 5:16).

      St. Gregory the Great:
      We truly love God and keep His commandments if we restrain ourselves
      from our pleasures. For he who still abandons himself to unlawful
      desires certainly does not love God, since he contradicts Him in his
      own intentions... Therefore, he loves God truly, whose mind is not
      conquered by consent to evil delight. For the more one takes pleasure
      in lower things, the more he is separated from heavenly love.

      Holy New Hieromartyr Barlaam:
      At the Last Judgment the righteous will be recognized only by their
      humility and their considering themselves worthless, and not by good
      deeds, even if they have done them. This is the true attitude.

      Alexander
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 30, 2007
        On 4/30/07, krolechka <krolechka@...> wrote:

        > Chris is risen!

        Er... thanks, but this announcement is not quite accurate. :)

        Chris

      • krolechka
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 30, 2007
          --- In LutheransLookingEast@yahoogroups.com, "Christopher Orr"
          <xcjorr@...> wrote:

          > On 4/30/07, krolechka <krolechka@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Chris is risen!
          >
          > Er... thanks, but this announcement is not quite accurate. :)
          >
          > Chris

          OOPS! Sorry! :)
          I don't know what I was looking at when typing it...