infant baptism / chrismation / communion

  • DonPedroGordo
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 13, 2009
      Hei!  Tschüß!  ¡Hola!  Oi!  Ciao!  Hi!
      What beneficial thoughts have been shared!  We have increased our sense of the inner rightness of the practices of the ancient church in the discussion of the nous.  I will be thinking about this for a long time and comparing it to what I read further both in the sacred scriptures and in the liturgical texts.  In reference to the historical practice of the church I found the following volume helpful:

      Christian Initiation: Baptism in the Medieval West (Christian Initiation) by J. D. C. Fisher (Paperback - Jul 10, 2007).

      It seems at some point a decision was made in the East for the bishops to bless the chrism and pass it along to the presbyters for application, but in the west the bishops retained this function to themselves...leading to various misunderstandings in view a decline in pastoral practice / visitations.

       --- On Mon, 7/13/09, Christopher Orr <xcjorr@...> wrote:

      Thanks much to Randy for his response. His explanation of the nous as a part of the very make-up of what it means to be human was very important for me. It is missing in the anthropology of Lutheranism, which accounts for some of its concerns. I thought about his comment connecting the nous of children with their faith in a way that amazed me - and made me wonder while I was holding my 10-month old in church yesterday. That is an extremely strong argument for infant communion and baptism - one that is lack[ing], necessarily, in Lutheranism. Thanks, again. Christopher
      .