Re: [LutheransLookingEast] Christians?

  • Bradley Varvil
    Message 1 of 72 , Jul 8, 2009
      Randy,

      You're not boring me at all. Before my nascent attempts to explore the
      Eastern Church a year or so ago, I was aware that there was much that made
      conversation difficult... not least of which was a significant difference in
      the way the West and East even begin to think about the faith. Your
      descriptions are not tedious in the least, but I confess, they nearly drive
      me to despair.

      In all my dealings with Christians of the West, we at least begin with a
      common lexicon, and probably a similar conceptual basis. I wonder,
      sometimes, if I can even put my brain into the structure of thought that I
      hear expressed by those I chat with in the East.

      There are a few of the Greek Fathers I've not yet read, and I intend to do
      that over the next year. I have and greatly enjoy my Orthodox Study Bible,
      which I find very approachable (and exceptionally Christo-centric in
      commentary... which is a goal of Lutheran hermenuetics, as well.) I will
      endeavor to study and dialogue with patience, knowing that what I am
      attempting to study is more difficult to learn without immersion.

      As for defining the Church, thanks specifically for you observations on this
      point. I find it difficult to wrap my brain around a definition which
      defies definition... but that is what we are often left with, when we ponder
      the mysteries of God. Despite the Lutheran (and to a greater extent Roman
      scholasticism's) proclivities to rationally define things that are mostly
      beyond the pale of human cognition, I think the Lutheran attempt to define
      the Church is only to place some kind of rational markers around the
      boundaries of what the mystery of the Church really is. Lutherans never
      professed that the Church is only invisible-- but we did have to emphasize
      the invisible mystery of the Church within our time and controversies...
      much as I imagine Chrysostom had to do as he was sent off into abandonment
      and eventual martyrdom.

      I agree, though-- we can talk all day about what we think marks or composes
      the Church, but in the end analysis, She just IS. There is a sense of the
      ongoing miraculous in both Eastern Orthodoxy and Western Romanism that
      intrigues me, and is often minimized by the rationalistic reductionism of
      Protestantism. I have seen God do wonderous and miraculous things in the
      lives of His people, but I confess, I would love to see a weeping an icon
      before I die...

      Grace and peace to you,
      Brad

      Message 72 of 72 , Jul 24, 2009
        Actually I was thinking of laity here....I can still picture the kids lined up. Not a universal practice, of course....in fact I thought it was because they needed to get to Sunday school first; but then someone explained it to me.