Three Strange Days, A Response to Issues, Etc.

    Message 1 of 72 , Jul 4, 2009
      Three Strange Days<http://energeticprocession.com/2009/07/03/three-strange-days/>

      *by Perry Robinson*

      http://energeticprocession.com/2009/07/03/three-strange-days/

      For three strange days a few weeks ago (June 1-3) I listened to a Lutheran
      broadcast on *Issues, Etc <http://www.issuesetc.org/ondemand.html>.* about
      Eastern Orthodoxy. The person chosen for the broadcast was David Jay Webber,
      a Lutheran minister who has spent some time in Russian-Slav world, along
      with the host Todd Wilken.

      Conservative Lutherans continue to blast Orthodoxy with caricature, half
      truths and material deployed without sufficient explanation and designed to
      shock the non-Orthodox, specifically into the conclusion that the Orthodox
      are barely Christian, if at all. Unfortunately this program was no
      exception. I have gone through the programs in a separate post above. Here I
      use some space to give some advice to all of the Lutheran critics.

      You have got to stop this kind of argumentation. What I mean is deploying
      arguments from the outside and really bad ones at that. And by that I mean
      argument predicated on showing the falsity of a view grounded in assumptions
      that its advocates would reject. These come in two forms. Either they are
      specifically dependent on non-Orthodox presuppositions or they are just
      caricature and straw men. Outsiders rarely understand and can effectively
      critique a position. As one of my former instructors, Merrill Ring used to
      note concerning the fall of Logical Positivism, that when the attackers
      finally entered the castle of Logical Positivism, they found it uninhabited.
      Its most effective critics were its advocates.

      And the Lutherans need to stop for their own good. When critics of a
      position deploy arguments that are easily answered and/or shown to be based
      on misunderstanding and caricature, they loose credibility in the eyes of
      their audience. And if I have learned one thing about apologetics and
      persuasion it is that without credibility, your arguments aren�t worth very
      much. You can have perfectly valid and sound arguments for a position but if
      you lack credibility in the eyes of your audience they won�t give you the
      time of day. If Lutherans take the arguments like the ones given on the show
      and get hammered, not only will their confidence in the proponants of such
      arguments will be greatly diminished, but also their confidence in the
      correctness of Lutheran theology. This will be the first step to opening
      their minds up to the possibility to a different theological model and a
      different way of understanding the Bible.

      Furthermore, it makes it much, much easier for me to persuade people of
      Orthodoxy when I can easily blow through criticisms and show that the
      critics is really under or misinformed. If you wish to continue the flow of
      Lutheran converts to Orthodoxy, by all means continue what you are presently
      doing.

      If the Lutherans wish to give criticisms of Orthodoxy that will challenge
      apologists for Orthodoxy and help retain members of their own fold, they are
      going to have to do their homework. And this means that they are going to
      have understand Orthodoxy from the inside out rather than the outside
      looking in. They will have to present it in such a way that its better
      advocates will recognize it while bringing out alleged inconsistencies
      between its fundamental principles or presuppositions. Until they do so,
      they will always be at a serious disadvantage.

      And they need to be aware that they are already at a serious disadvantage
      from the get go. Orthodoxy is not really familiar to them, and neither are
      Orthodox reads of history, the fathers and the Scriptures. Orthodox authors
      are virtually unknown to them beyond the pop stuff like Ware�s book. And let
      me just get this out of the way. One of the top signs that someone doesn�t
      know Orthodoxy is that they cite Ware�s book as some be all and end all
      papal encyclical. This is not to say that the esteemed bishop�s book is bad,
      but when the Orthodox say we have no pope, we mean it.

      Not only is it necessary to present the position one is attacking in a
      recognizable way, one needs to then construct objections to the effect that
      there exist within it inconsistent core assumptions. Either one can believe
      in say the Orthodox view of the Trinity or Chalcedonian Christology, but not
      both. In either case, Orthodoxy as a whole would be false. The only out of
      the dilemma would be either to deny Orthodoxy or show that there is some
      third way, a tertium quid that both can be true. Such would be an effective
      critique because it would strike at the heart of the system. So far, nothing
      from Protestant and specifically Lutheran critics of Orthodoxy even comes
      close.

      Message 72 of 72 , Jul 24, 2009
        Actually I was thinking of laity here....I can still picture the kids lined up. Not a universal practice, of course....in fact I thought it was because they needed to get to Sunday school first; but then someone explained it to me.