Fwd: [LutheransLookingEast] Introduction

  • byza7@aol.com
    Message 1 of 38 , Jun 18, 2009
      ____________________________________
      From: Byza7
      To: LutheransLookingEast@...
      Sent: 6/18/2009 7:19:26 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time
      Subj: Fwd: [LutheransLookingEast] Introduction

      Kim and all of you out there that are looking for books of interest on
      Orthodoxy.

      A recent favorite book is called "THIRSTING FOR GOD in a Land of Shallow
      Wells" by Matthew Gallatin

      This book starts out kind of slow but within short order I couldn't put
      the book down until I finished it. It is a MUST READ as a eye opener not
      only for this cradle Orthodox but for all that want to study the faith.

      It's about a man who was a cradle 7th day Adventist and became a
      evangelical preacher. From my memory, I believe he kept having this feeling that
      something was missing in his life and this must read book walks you thru how
      he came home to Orthodoxy. CONCILIAR PRESS

      Another book that I have enjoyed is "ORTHODOX WORSHIP a living continuity
      with the synagogue, the temple and the early Church" By Benjamin D.
      Williams and Harold B Anstall

      This book walks you thru how Orthodox Christianity roots from the
      Temple/synagogue. This helps one understand the structure of the Liturgy, music,
      even to the point of inside architecture of the church from its Jewish
      roots etc..

      In reading this book, it will counter act all those people who think there
      should be NO structure in worship etc but in reality this book will show
      you the structure of worship that Christ lived and brought into His Church.
      LIGHT & LIFE publishing company

      "THE WAY What Every Protestant Should Know About the Orthodox Church" by
      Clark Carlton REGINA ORTHODOX PRESS
      Interesting that the first chapter of this book is entitled "My Heritage
      as a Southern Baptist". Other chapters like Sola Scriptura
      Presuppositions, The Nature of Tradition, The Structure and Worship of the Early Church,
      The Protestant Transformation etc.

      "DANCING ALONE A Quest for Orthodox Faith in the Age of False Religion"
      By Frank Schaeffer HOLY CROSS PRESS
      I enjoyed this book because it is very hard ball on denominationalism,
      secularism, rationalism and of course roman revisionism. Frank pulls NO
      punches with his words and some people that even like his books are the ones
      who think he is over strong in his words. That's for you to decide because
      he supports his points with many historical facts that I found very
      interesting.

      Last item is a pamphlet, "An Eastern Orthodox Response to Evangelical
      Claims" by Fr. Paul O'Callaghan of the Antiochian Archdiocese LIGHT AND
      LIFE Publishing
      This book is in plain language and some of the chapters are
      Tradition of Scripture
      Worshiping Mary as the "Mother of God"
      Can the Saints Hear Our Prayers
      The Bible Alone
      The Bible and Tradition
      Images in the Church
      Veneration of icons
      Veneration of the cross
      Orthodox "Ritualism"
      Are the Orthodox "born again"
      Are Believers "Saved"?
      Doctrine of Assurance
      Infant baptism
      Holy Communion Only Symbolic?
      Prayers for the Dead
      and OTHER interesting chapters

      Well, that's it for now, IF any of you read any of these books then
      please post what you think of them OR if any of you have read them then keep us
      advised.

      One last thing, I am sure that MOST if not all of these books can be
      purchased used via Amazon. com or Cheapbooks.com etc

      David Novak
      Kennsaw, Georgia (The Holy Tradition state)

      ____________________________________
      Message 38 of 38 , Sep 14, 2012
        Christopher's advice is spot-on, as usual.

        In reading about your liturgical experience in Lutheranism, all I can say
        is that I had the same sort of experience. I think the search for meaning
        and authenticity in liturgical worship is what draws a lot of us to
        Orthodoxy. While anger and frustration and maybe even exhaustion from the
        squabbling, distrust, and lack of security in Lutheranism can drive us to
        expecting "perfection" in another place, the search for truly catholic and
        orthodox worship is not itself a running away, but a running towards the
        Truth we are thirsting after.

        But if new age worship is such a problem, and the catholic and orthodox
        worship of the Orthodox Church is such a wonderful thing, then (in order to
        avoid personal delusion) it's important to put Christopher's advice into
        practice. The worship in the public liturgy must be carried into the
        home. Introduce a simple but regular routine, and stay with it.

        In Orthodoxy the Liturgy IS the Faith. It's okay to run to that, if it is
        THAT which you are trying to get, but which Lutheranism is incapable of
        giving you. Just keep in mind that we human beings are not so simple:
        while running toward the right things we often bring unrealistic
        expectations at the same time. Take your time. Don't rush. Face each
        thing one at a time, the good and the bad. Christ is faithful; He will
        lead you into all truth. Chase down Christ. Prayer is how to do it.