Re: [LutheransLookingEast] introduction

  • Kimberly Sparling
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 17, 2009
      Thank you Rosemarie. Last weekend I was at St. Dionysios for their Greek
      Festival!
      It's good to know the liturgy is in English. I wondered about that.
      There is also an Orthodox church out farther south in Overland Park in the
      *newer* part of
      Johnson County. But I think since we live close to the Plaza I will try St.
      Mary of Egypt first.
      Thank you for the info about prayers!
      Kim

    • byza7@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 18, 2009
        +Glory to Jesus Christ ! +His Glory be Forever !

        Hello Kim,

        I am a life long Orthodox Christian and I thought I would respond to
        your post.

        I want to share this true story with you and all of the people in this
        forum.

        Our new Orthodox priest for our mission Church had a biography of being
        a Lutheran minister and then was considering the Episcopal
        denomination. He was unhappy with the liberalism he was seeing in
        Protestantism. Thereafter, after prayer and study he decided to come
        to Orthodox Christianity.

        When a Orthodox bishop asked him why he wanted to become Orthodox.
        His response was "I have always been an Orthodox but didnt realize it
        till now".

        This life long Orthodox Christian admits that its a constant learning
        experience. Probally because 2000 yrs of the fullness of the faith can
        take much more than a life time to comprehend.

        Take care and IF I can respond to any of your questions than please
        feel free to ask me.

        God Bless

        David Novak
        Founding Father
        St. Elizabeth Orthodox Mission
        Woodstock, Ga

        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 18, 2009
          David Novak wrote:

          > When a Orthodox bishop asked him why he wanted to become Orthodox.
          > His response was "I have always been an Orthodox but didnt realize it
          > till now".
          > .

          That was the way I felt after attending my first few services at my current
          Lutheran church. After being bored to the point of not wanting to attend
          worship at the Methodist church, the liturgy was so beautiful and meaningful
          by comparison, I never considered another denomination when I was "looking"
          after that because I knew the only other liturgical churches that I was
          familiar with were the Roman Catholic (definitely not) and Episcopal (more
          liberal than the Methodists!).
          I still love my church and my pastor. But I also feel that I need to do a
          lot of research on the history of the Eastern Church. Until I found this
          list I always assumed everything about Christianity from the viewpoint of a
          Protestant. To me, the Lutherans were as close to pre-Roman Catholic
          Christianity that existed. The thing I dislike most about other Protestant
          denominations is all the man-made "stuff" that has been added. Particularly
          the legalism of how to dress, what you are allowed to read, etc.
          Any comments, recommendations of reading material?
          Kim in MO
          enjoying this immensely!

        • David MIELKE
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 18, 2009
            Kim,

            Have you explored Western Rite Orthodoxy under the Antiochian Orthodox Church. It is fully Orthodox yet retains a Western liturgical influence which resonates with Lutherans and Episcopalians. The Western Rite Book of Common Prayer was published this year and may be obtained thorugh Lancelot Andrewes Press.

            Go to the Antiochian web site and read about the Western Rite.

            Blessings,

            David

            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 18, 2009
              Thank you, I will check it out.