Re: [LutheransLookingEast] introduction

    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 17, 2009
      I have heard very good things about a Serbian church in KC that is
      predominantly African-American. I believe it is St. Mary of Egypt Church.

      The way we pray reveals what we believe. I think you are right to be
      concerned. Of course, the LCMS and Orthodox are more than their worship,
      and there are inconsistencies good and bad on both sides. Orthodoxy isn't
      just a more traditional or liturgical Lutheranism, though. Make sure you
      understand what Orthodoxy is and convert because of that. That is, convert
      TO Orthodoxy. Don't convert because Lutheranism isn't all you wish it was
      or all it could be. That is, don't convert FROM Lutheranism out of anger.
      Changes such as you describe may be the impetus one starts to look around
      (others start to look due to problems with friends, family, moves, new
      pastors, or for cultural, intellectual or aesthetic reasons, etc.), but
      'negative' reasons or simple curiosity can't be the reason why you convert
      in the end - there have to be 'positive' reasons to convert TO Orthodoxy.

      May the Lord bless your inquiry.

      Christopher

      On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 1:35 PM, Kimberly Sparling <belleartmom@...>wrote:

      > Hi,
      > I just joined the group yesterday and thought I should introduce myself. I
      > was raised Methodist, absent from church for 25+ years, started back at the
      > Methodist church in 2002. After a couple of years in that liberal
      > environment I started looking for a church that was solidly pro-life that
      > didn't also scare me (ex. Baptists). The MO Synod Lutheran church seemed to
      > fit well, I found a great urban church and have been there for about 5
      > years
      > now.
      > However, I have also noticed that most of the *other* LCMS churches in my
      > area (Kansas City) have moved to contemporary and/or blended services. If
      > anything ever happened to my current church, there are no other LCMS
      > churches I would want to attend.
      > I homeschool our 3 youngest children, my oldest is 20 and has developmental
      > disabilities. Recently I met a woman whose dh is a priest at an inner city
      > Orthodox church; she also homeschools her 3 sons. I have always jokingly
      > threatened my dh that I would become Orthodox if the Lutherans got too
      > liberal. I think that time has come.
      > Any input?
      > I am very open minded and have been trying to do research on my own.
      > God bless,
      > Kim S.

    • Kimberly Sparling
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 17, 2009
        Yes, St. Mary of Egypt is the one I am referring to. I think my first trip
        will be to their bookstore called Desert Wisdom.
        The woman I met owns the website Fullness of the Faith. They operate it as
        a family business.

        I do understand that there is a lot more than worship style on which to base
        a decision to convert, which is why I am investigating slowly. And being
        married, it should be something my husband is involved with as well. I have
        been sending him lots of links to websites with information.

        Look forward to learning more, thank you for moderating this list!

        Kim S.

        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 17, 2009
          Hey Kim,

          I am formerly from the Kansas City Area. I was back for Western Easter last
          year and attended St. Dionysios in Overland Park. It's a Greek parish...but
          the liturgy is mostly in English. There were a number of converts there.
          The priest was very welcoming. As I go back periodically to visit my
          husband's side of the family I plan to visit other parishes. I would be
          interested in your impressions if you visit parishes in the area.

          It isn't so easy to consider taking a path apart from one's spouse but some
          do it. Some wait. It all depends on the situation and the guidance of
          one's priest. There is a yahoo group which is dedicated to those of us who
          are "OrthodoX Without My Spouse" or OXWOMS. I found it enormously helpful
          as I was tucked away in my little Southern town making such a big move apart
          from my wonderful and loving husband. (To this day he remains a diehard
          Lutheran.) If you find yourself with such a need the group can be found
          at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/oxwoms/

          One thing that hugely influenced my ultimate steps to becoming Orthodox
          without my spouse was praying Orthodox morning and evening prayers. I think
          that created a great impatience in me. I had to belong to the people of
          these prayers. So...be careful with that! :) -----R

          On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 1:35 PM, Kimberly Sparling <belleartmom@...>wrote:

          > Hi,
          > I just joined the group yesterday and thought I should introduce myself. I
          > was raised Methodist, absent from church for 25+ years, started back at the
          > Methodist church in 2002. After a couple of years in that liberal
          > environment I started looking for a church that was solidly pro-life that
          > didn't also scare me (ex. Baptists). The MO Synod Lutheran church seemed to
          > fit well, I found a great urban church and have been there for about 5
          > years
          > now.
          > However, I have also noticed that most of the *other* LCMS churches in my
          > area (Kansas City) have moved to contemporary and/or blended services. If
          > anything ever happened to my current church, there are no other LCMS
          > churches I would want to attend.
          > I homeschool our 3 youngest children, my oldest is 20 and has developmental
          > disabilities. Recently I met a woman whose dh is a priest at an inner city
          > Orthodox church; she also homeschools her 3 sons. I have always jokingly
          > threatened my dh that I would become Orthodox if the Lutherans got too
          > liberal. I think that time has come.
          > Any input?
          > I am very open minded and have been trying to do research on my own.
          > God bless,
          > Kim S.

        • Kimberly Sparling
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 17, 2009
            Thank you Rosemarie. Last weekend I was at St. Dionysios for their Greek
            Festival!
            It's good to know the liturgy is in English. I wondered about that.
            There is also an Orthodox church out farther south in Overland Park in the
            *newer* part of
            Johnson County. But I think since we live close to the Plaza I will try St.
            Mary of Egypt first.
            Thank you for the info about prayers!
            Kim

          • byza7@aol.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 18, 2009
              +Glory to Jesus Christ ! +His Glory be Forever !

              Hello Kim,

              I am a life long Orthodox Christian and I thought I would respond to
              your post.

              I want to share this true story with you and all of the people in this
              forum.

              Our new Orthodox priest for our mission Church had a biography of being
              a Lutheran minister and then was considering the Episcopal
              denomination. He was unhappy with the liberalism he was seeing in
              Protestantism. Thereafter, after prayer and study he decided to come
              to Orthodox Christianity.

              When a Orthodox bishop asked him why he wanted to become Orthodox.
              His response was "I have always been an Orthodox but didnt realize it
              till now".

              This life long Orthodox Christian admits that its a constant learning
              experience. Probally because 2000 yrs of the fullness of the faith can
              take much more than a life time to comprehend.

              Take care and IF I can respond to any of your questions than please
              feel free to ask me.

              God Bless

              David Novak
              Founding Father
              St. Elizabeth Orthodox Mission
              Woodstock, Ga

              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 18, 2009
                David Novak wrote:

                > When a Orthodox bishop asked him why he wanted to become Orthodox.
                > His response was "I have always been an Orthodox but didnt realize it
                > till now".
                > .

                That was the way I felt after attending my first few services at my current
                Lutheran church. After being bored to the point of not wanting to attend
                worship at the Methodist church, the liturgy was so beautiful and meaningful
                by comparison, I never considered another denomination when I was "looking"
                after that because I knew the only other liturgical churches that I was
                familiar with were the Roman Catholic (definitely not) and Episcopal (more
                liberal than the Methodists!).
                I still love my church and my pastor. But I also feel that I need to do a
                lot of research on the history of the Eastern Church. Until I found this
                list I always assumed everything about Christianity from the viewpoint of a
                Protestant. To me, the Lutherans were as close to pre-Roman Catholic
                Christianity that existed. The thing I dislike most about other Protestant
                denominations is all the man-made "stuff" that has been added. Particularly
                the legalism of how to dress, what you are allowed to read, etc.
                Any comments, recommendations of reading material?
                Kim in MO
                enjoying this immensely!

              • David MIELKE
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 18, 2009
                  Kim,

                  Have you explored Western Rite Orthodoxy under the Antiochian Orthodox Church. It is fully Orthodox yet retains a Western liturgical influence which resonates with Lutherans and Episcopalians. The Western Rite Book of Common Prayer was published this year and may be obtained thorugh Lancelot Andrewes Press.

                  Go to the Antiochian web site and read about the Western Rite.

                  Blessings,

                  David

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 18, 2009
                    Thank you, I will check it out.