introduction

  • Kimberly Sparling
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 17, 2009
      Hi,
      I just joined the group yesterday and thought I should introduce myself. I
      was raised Methodist, absent from church for 25+ years, started back at the
      Methodist church in 2002. After a couple of years in that liberal
      environment I started looking for a church that was solidly pro-life that
      didn't also scare me (ex. Baptists). The MO Synod Lutheran church seemed to
      fit well, I found a great urban church and have been there for about 5 years
      now.
      However, I have also noticed that most of the *other* LCMS churches in my
      area (Kansas City) have moved to contemporary and/or blended services. If
      anything ever happened to my current church, there are no other LCMS
      churches I would want to attend.
      I homeschool our 3 youngest children, my oldest is 20 and has developmental
      disabilities. Recently I met a woman whose dh is a priest at an inner city
      Orthodox church; she also homeschools her 3 sons. I have always jokingly
      threatened my dh that I would become Orthodox if the Lutherans got too
      liberal. I think that time has come.
      Any input?
      I am very open minded and have been trying to do research on my own.
      God bless,
      Kim S.

      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 17, 2009
        I have heard very good things about a Serbian church in KC that is
        predominantly African-American. I believe it is St. Mary of Egypt Church.

        The way we pray reveals what we believe. I think you are right to be
        concerned. Of course, the LCMS and Orthodox are more than their worship,
        and there are inconsistencies good and bad on both sides. Orthodoxy isn't
        just a more traditional or liturgical Lutheranism, though. Make sure you
        understand what Orthodoxy is and convert because of that. That is, convert
        TO Orthodoxy. Don't convert because Lutheranism isn't all you wish it was
        or all it could be. That is, don't convert FROM Lutheranism out of anger.
        Changes such as you describe may be the impetus one starts to look around
        (others start to look due to problems with friends, family, moves, new
        pastors, or for cultural, intellectual or aesthetic reasons, etc.), but
        'negative' reasons or simple curiosity can't be the reason why you convert
        in the end - there have to be 'positive' reasons to convert TO Orthodoxy.

        May the Lord bless your inquiry.

        Christopher

        On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 1:35 PM, Kimberly Sparling <belleartmom@...>wrote:

        > Hi,
        > I just joined the group yesterday and thought I should introduce myself. I
        > was raised Methodist, absent from church for 25+ years, started back at the
        > Methodist church in 2002. After a couple of years in that liberal
        > environment I started looking for a church that was solidly pro-life that
        > didn't also scare me (ex. Baptists). The MO Synod Lutheran church seemed to
        > fit well, I found a great urban church and have been there for about 5
        > years
        > now.
        > However, I have also noticed that most of the *other* LCMS churches in my
        > area (Kansas City) have moved to contemporary and/or blended services. If
        > anything ever happened to my current church, there are no other LCMS
        > churches I would want to attend.
        > I homeschool our 3 youngest children, my oldest is 20 and has developmental
        > disabilities. Recently I met a woman whose dh is a priest at an inner city
        > Orthodox church; she also homeschools her 3 sons. I have always jokingly
        > threatened my dh that I would become Orthodox if the Lutherans got too
        > liberal. I think that time has come.
        > Any input?
        > I am very open minded and have been trying to do research on my own.
        > God bless,
        > Kim S.

      • Kimberly Sparling
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 17, 2009
          Yes, St. Mary of Egypt is the one I am referring to. I think my first trip
          will be to their bookstore called Desert Wisdom.
          The woman I met owns the website Fullness of the Faith. They operate it as
          a family business.

          I do understand that there is a lot more than worship style on which to base
          a decision to convert, which is why I am investigating slowly. And being
          married, it should be something my husband is involved with as well. I have
          been sending him lots of links to websites with information.

          Look forward to learning more, thank you for moderating this list!

          Kim S.

          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 17, 2009
            Hey Kim,

            I am formerly from the Kansas City Area. I was back for Western Easter last
            year and attended St. Dionysios in Overland Park. It's a Greek parish...but
            the liturgy is mostly in English. There were a number of converts there.
            The priest was very welcoming. As I go back periodically to visit my
            husband's side of the family I plan to visit other parishes. I would be
            interested in your impressions if you visit parishes in the area.

            It isn't so easy to consider taking a path apart from one's spouse but some
            do it. Some wait. It all depends on the situation and the guidance of
            one's priest. There is a yahoo group which is dedicated to those of us who
            are "OrthodoX Without My Spouse" or OXWOMS. I found it enormously helpful
            as I was tucked away in my little Southern town making such a big move apart
            from my wonderful and loving husband. (To this day he remains a diehard
            Lutheran.) If you find yourself with such a need the group can be found
            at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/oxwoms/

            One thing that hugely influenced my ultimate steps to becoming Orthodox
            without my spouse was praying Orthodox morning and evening prayers. I think
            that created a great impatience in me. I had to belong to the people of
            these prayers. So...be careful with that! :) -----R

            On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 1:35 PM, Kimberly Sparling <belleartmom@...>wrote:

            > Hi,
            > I just joined the group yesterday and thought I should introduce myself. I
            > was raised Methodist, absent from church for 25+ years, started back at the
            > Methodist church in 2002. After a couple of years in that liberal
            > environment I started looking for a church that was solidly pro-life that
            > didn't also scare me (ex. Baptists). The MO Synod Lutheran church seemed to
            > fit well, I found a great urban church and have been there for about 5
            > years
            > now.
            > However, I have also noticed that most of the *other* LCMS churches in my
            > area (Kansas City) have moved to contemporary and/or blended services. If
            > anything ever happened to my current church, there are no other LCMS
            > churches I would want to attend.
            > I homeschool our 3 youngest children, my oldest is 20 and has developmental
            > disabilities. Recently I met a woman whose dh is a priest at an inner city
            > Orthodox church; she also homeschools her 3 sons. I have always jokingly
            > threatened my dh that I would become Orthodox if the Lutherans got too
            > liberal. I think that time has come.
            > Any input?
            > I am very open minded and have been trying to do research on my own.
            > God bless,
            > Kim S.

          • Kimberly Sparling
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 17, 2009
              Thank you Rosemarie. Last weekend I was at St. Dionysios for their Greek
              Festival!
              It's good to know the liturgy is in English. I wondered about that.
              There is also an Orthodox church out farther south in Overland Park in the
              *newer* part of
              Johnson County. But I think since we live close to the Plaza I will try St.
              Mary of Egypt first.
              Thank you for the info about prayers!
              Kim

            • byza7@aol.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 18, 2009
                +Glory to Jesus Christ ! +His Glory be Forever !

                Hello Kim,

                I am a life long Orthodox Christian and I thought I would respond to
                your post.

                I want to share this true story with you and all of the people in this
                forum.

                Our new Orthodox priest for our mission Church had a biography of being
                a Lutheran minister and then was considering the Episcopal
                denomination. He was unhappy with the liberalism he was seeing in
                Protestantism. Thereafter, after prayer and study he decided to come
                to Orthodox Christianity.

                When a Orthodox bishop asked him why he wanted to become Orthodox.
                His response was "I have always been an Orthodox but didnt realize it
                till now".

                This life long Orthodox Christian admits that its a constant learning
                experience. Probally because 2000 yrs of the fullness of the faith can
                take much more than a life time to comprehend.

                Take care and IF I can respond to any of your questions than please
                feel free to ask me.

                God Bless

                David Novak
                Founding Father
                St. Elizabeth Orthodox Mission
                Woodstock, Ga

                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 18, 2009
                  David Novak wrote:

                  > When a Orthodox bishop asked him why he wanted to become Orthodox.
                  > His response was "I have always been an Orthodox but didnt realize it
                  > till now".
                  > .

                  That was the way I felt after attending my first few services at my current
                  Lutheran church. After being bored to the point of not wanting to attend
                  worship at the Methodist church, the liturgy was so beautiful and meaningful
                  by comparison, I never considered another denomination when I was "looking"
                  after that because I knew the only other liturgical churches that I was
                  familiar with were the Roman Catholic (definitely not) and Episcopal (more
                  liberal than the Methodists!).
                  I still love my church and my pastor. But I also feel that I need to do a
                  lot of research on the history of the Eastern Church. Until I found this
                  list I always assumed everything about Christianity from the viewpoint of a
                  Protestant. To me, the Lutherans were as close to pre-Roman Catholic
                  Christianity that existed. The thing I dislike most about other Protestant
                  denominations is all the man-made "stuff" that has been added. Particularly
                  the legalism of how to dress, what you are allowed to read, etc.
                  Any comments, recommendations of reading material?
                  Kim in MO
                  enjoying this immensely!

                • David MIELKE
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 18, 2009
                    Kim,

                    Have you explored Western Rite Orthodoxy under the Antiochian Orthodox Church. It is fully Orthodox yet retains a Western liturgical influence which resonates with Lutherans and Episcopalians. The Western Rite Book of Common Prayer was published this year and may be obtained thorugh Lancelot Andrewes Press.

                    Go to the Antiochian web site and read about the Western Rite.

                    Blessings,

                    David

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 18, 2009
                      Thank you, I will check it out.