"In the education of children, the most important thing is..."

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 4, 2009

      > In the education of children, the most important thing is that they should
      > see their parents leading an intense interior life. - Fr. Aleksandr,
      > "Diary of a Russian Priest"

      My husband and I pray Morning Prayer every morning. We wanted Dominic, our
      four year old, to come in and pray with us but he would consistently refuse.
      He would rather play with his toys or interrupt our prayers to ask us to do
      something for him. We finally got him to wait patiently while we prayed so
      that he played by himself quietly in another room. Before we prayed we
      always called him and invited him to pray with us. But no, he was not
      interested. So it went on in this way for a while.

      I began to notice that he would play with his toys closer and closer to the
      doorway to the room wherein we prayed. Eventually he would play with his
      toys in the same room where we were praying. Finally he would climb up onto
      the bed during prayers and stand next to us in front of the icon corner. We
      are still awaiting his vocal participation but I'm sure that will come in
      time also.

      As parents we want all the good things for our children. Sometimes in my
      enthusiasm I would rather buckle them down with a forced prayer routine.
      That hasn't really worked for us... Instead it took a lot of patience and
      exemplary consistency, which in turn slowly drew our children closer to
      prayer. We had to be a sort of "Prayer Whisperer" and it took a lot of time
      and consistency to show Dominic that praying in the morning was something he
      *himself* would want to participate in. It was hard for us adults but seeing
      the good results, even in mere inches, made it easier to be patient and wait
      for them to come on their own. It's so much more pleasing to see your
      children pray because they want to rather than pray because you demand it.

      *- From The Children of
      God<http://thechildrenofgod.blogspot.com/2009/06/in-education-of-children-most-important.html>blog
      *