Letter Four of Fr. Clement Sederholm to His Father

    Message 1 of 1 , May 20 1:13 PM
      Letter Four of Fr. Clement Sederholm to His Father

      Translated by ������ <http://incendiarious.wordpress.com/author/norespite/>

      http://incendiarious.wordpress.com/2009/05/20/letter-four-of-fr-clement-sederholm-to-his-father/

      In one of my last letters I cited the words of the Holy Apostle Paul to the
      Romans (12:2) so that you could test *what is that good, and acceptable, and
      perfect, will of God.* To you, dear father, it was not clear in [what] sense
      I quoted those words. In order to explain that to you, I'm sending you a
      book in which, on page 174, you will find a wonderful explanation of the
      words. It is a book of St. Dorotheus. It would be extremely pleasing to me
      if you read the book and then told me your thoughts about it. In St.
      Petersburg, [there are] Germans [that have] read it and one of them [said],
      "this is the very best mirror for the soul."

      As far as your work 'On the Resurrection', dear father, I consider it
      beneficial and salutary if it convinces those doubting. But *I think that
      persuasion, resulting from deduction, is not always convincing.* Can you
      prove with mathematical deduction that a picture is good and why it is good?
      That is hard to prove, especially if your objector does not have a taste for
      the refined, although you may be able to, in part, explain what the beauty
      of the picture consists of. It is the same here. In the sphere of faith, I
      think that deduction can only refute objections of the reason, that is, it
      can be proved that what reason opposes to dogma does not have a deep
      foundation. But the important dogmas like, for example, the teaching on the
      Resurrection and on the Ascension of Jesus Christ can not be proven or
      understood by the reason. We who are mistaken must, as they say, make
      insinuations, because faith is higher and more subtle than reason. Faith
      does not sink in water or burn in fire; reason can not imitate it and can
      not even understand it precisely - it is faced with the fact but is not able
      to explain it.

      April 30, 1863