Letter Two of Fr. Clement Sederholm to His Father

    Message 1 of 1 , May 18 12:39 PM
      Letter Two of Fr. Clement Sederholm to His Father

      17, May, 2009 by ������<http://incendiarious.wordpress.com/author/norespite/>

      I heartily thank you for the description of your visit to our monastery in
      1838. I read it with great interest and gave it to others to read. Your
      conclusion, however, is not in agreement not only with your favorable
      description of our brotherhood, as it was 25 years ago, but also contradicts
      the amicable impressions of your heart. You suggest that the monks forget
      the end for the means; for example, that they should have built a school in
      the monastery for children so that their life and works were not
      egotistical. But is it not enough that the monastery itself is a school for
      300 brothers, who are spiritually educated and brought up? And your good
      opinions of our monks more than anything speak of the fruits of that moral
      education. I also offer the following example. Is it not enough that
      students study in university? Would it be appropriate to demand of them that
      they at the same time also were instructors in public schools? In St.
      Petersburg, Italy, and other places this was already tried but it ended up
      that no time was left for the students to even study.

      Concerning assistance for the common good of people, the monastery is not
      unavailing, only adults and not children are taught. You yourself saw what a
      large confluence of people of all classes are present here, and the one who
      comes with faith without fail receives benefit.

      1863