Re: [LutheransLookingEast] Re: For anybody contemplating monasticism

    Message 1 of 10 , May 11, 2009
      New Skete was a Franciscan Eastern Rite monastic community - so, even with
      the RCC they were unique. They have developed their own Typikon of services
      that is a redaction of a (I want to say 7th Century Constantinopolitan)
      cycle of services in English. So, they are 'unique' within Orthodoxy - even
      within the OCA. I believe there are other unique aspects of their
      spirituality including a veneration of St. Francis of Assisi - or, so I have
      heard. They also have a men's monastery, a women's monastery and then what
      in Franciscan circles would be a 'third order' of married couples. This is
      not common in Orthodoxy in any official way - thought Arch. Sophrony's
      monastery in Essex, UK is a men's and women's community due to practical
      circumstances when it was founded. (In both communities, the men and women
      live separately).

      This is what Met. Jonah said recently in an interview published in the
      Russian language
      *Blagovest-Info<http://www.blagovest-info.ru/index.php?ss=2&s=5&id=27146>
      * on April 28, 2009 when asked about New Skete:

      *Blagovest-Info:* What of the fate of New Skete? Having come into the OCA
      > from the Catholic Church in the seventies, this monastic community in many
      > respects differs from what we have been accustomed to see in Orthodox
      > communities - if only in their veneration of St. Francis of Assisi.
      >
      > *+Jonah:* New Skete is a unique place. They live according to their own
      > life and it is not becoming to interfere in it. I profoundly respect them as
      > a community - a mature community. The relationships among the monastics are
      > excellent. They introduced certain particularities in the Divine Services
      > but carried this out with great love and devotion - even though these do not
      > always resemble the Russian or the Greek Typikon. In my opinion they are
      > criticized very hastily.
      >
      > http://www.aoiusa.org/blog/2009/05/it-is-time-to-be-direct/

      I think there has also been some turmoil in the leadership at New Skete over
      the past decade or so, which is to be expected as a close knit community has
      to start succession planning moving leadership from the founders to the next
      generation.

      They are also rather well known for their breeding of German Shepherds and
      various books. I quite enjoyed their 'Spirit of Happiness'.

      They are definitely on the more progressive end of Orthodoxy - even in
      America. I will stand with my monastic bishop: "In my opinion they are
      criticized very hastily." I hope you will share your own impressions with
      us after you have visited.

      Christopher

      Message 2 of 10 , May 11, 2009
        There is a similar retreat weekend being planned at ROCOR's Holy Trinity
        Monastery in Jordanville, NY:

        We invite you, young Orthodox men and women, to spend Memorial Day weekend
        > (May 23�25) in Jordanville, NY, experiencing the life of Holy Trinity
        > Monastery <http://www.jordanville.org/>. With the blessing of
        > Archimandrite Luke, this retreat is being organized for college and
        > post-college youth (no younger than 18) who would like to spend a weekend
        > with other like-minded Orthodox young people in a spiritually beneficial
        > environment. Along with joining in the Divine Services, participants will
        > have an opportunity to learn about the history and traditions of Holy
        > Trinity Monastery and Seminary <http://www.hts.edu/> from a tour of the
        > grounds by Archimandrite Luke, Abbot of the monastery, and a lecture by
        > Protodeacon Victor Lochmatow, long-time assistant to the late Metropolitan
        > Laurus. In keeping with the significance of Memorial Day, a pannikhida will
        > be served for Metropolitan Laurus, whose first anniversary of repose has
        > recently passed. Youth will also help the monastery by taking part in a
        > group project: tending of the cemetery grounds and cleaning the cemetery
        > church. We hope that those who attend the retreat will generate new
        > friendships, strengthen old ones, and engage in lively discussions and
        > conversations during social activities such as a barbeque on Lake Otsego and
        > a bonfire at one of the monastery lakes.
        >
        > Please note that participants are responsible for their own lodging. Visit
        > the accommodations page<http://retreat.jordanville.org/accomodations.html>for recommendations and additional information. While there is no
        > registration fee, we strongly recommend that participants make a $35
        > donation to the monastery to cover the cost of food. If you plan to attend,
        > please let us know by submitting a short form on the RSVP page<http://retreat.jordanville.org/rsvp.html>.
        > Make sure to bring appropriate clothing for work at the cemetery clean-up.
        >
        > We sincerely hope that you will come to the first Memorial Day Youth
        > Retreat and celebrate the end of the Paschal period with other Orthodox
        > youth at Holy Trinity Monastery!
        >
        > http://retreat.jordanville.org/
        >
        > The new Abbot and Acting Superior of St. Tikhon's Monastery, South Canaan,
        PA (Metropolitan Jonah [Paffhausen] and Hieromonk Sergius [Bowyer],
        respectively) are also actively working towards the expansion of monasticism
        in the first Orthodox monastery in the Western Hemisphere. I have also
        heard the Metropolitan is looking to establish a 'Valaam-style' monastery in
        the DC area.

        Other monasteries to consider visiting in the NY area:

        - Mercy House / St. Mary of Egypt Monastery (MP) - the fathers are based
        in Manhattan, but have recently acquired property in the Catskills for a
        monastery that is not in the midst of a major urban center. All services in
        English.
        - St. Nektarios Monastery (GOA) - the men's monastery in the NYC region
        founded by Elder Ephraim of Mt. Athos. All services in Greek. Wonderful
        property in the Catskills.

        Christopher

      • Dave @¿@¬
        Message 3 of 10 , May 18, 2009
          Howdy Dave!

          I get a similar "shudder reaction" from many cradle Orthodox (especilly those born in Greece.)

          For me, the issue is not: "Is this how Orthodox Monasticism has been practiced in the past?"

          The issue is: "Will this community provide me with the necessary means to allow me to get from hither to yon on my spiritual path at this time?"

          Dave

        • Dave @¿@¬
          Message 4 of 10 , May 18, 2009
            I have been to St. Nektarios (Roscoe, NY.)

            It was there that I came to the conclusion that I need a
            monastery that celebrates the Liturgy in English.

            Absolutely beutiful grounds!

            Dave.

            Message 5 of 10 , May 18, 2009
              I came to a similar conclusion at St. Nektarios. Beautiful grounds, well
              chanted services, etc., but such a community is not for regular visits
              unless one were looking for either Greek immersion or to take up the cross
              of 'pilgrimage' (of always being a foreigner, a sort of fool for Christ).

              Note that I said not for regular visits, not that such a situation is not
              suitable to visit ever. Pilgrimage to the Holy Land, to Mount Athos, to
              Valaam, to Moldova, etc. also include worshiping in services in another
              language. The grace is still present, whatever the language, and simple,
              rational comprehension is not the ultimate in Orthodox prayer or worship;
              sometimes it is good to simply be in private prayer as a foreigner in the
              presence of grace and holiness.

              However, choosing incomprehension is often a mask for a sort of willfulness
              that prefers not to know the mind of the Church, not to be taught by the
              Church, not to pray with the Church, but to pray according to its own mind
              and opinions. It's 'logoclasm', an attack on language and understanding
              similar to the way in which iconoclasm was an attack on images and
              incarnation.

              (All the same can be said of any ethnic community in North America -
              Russians, Romanians, etc. This is not only a Greek phenomenon. Such makes
              sense in the beginning, and such makes sense as a way to check signals with
              cultures where we know what Orthodoxy looks like (we don't yet really know
              what a successful, saintly Orthodox American or American monastery or chruch
              looks like), but there is a point at which it becomes something
              non-pastoral, non-evangelistic, uncaring, ethnically narcissistic,
              needlessly defensive, etc.)

              Christopher

              Message 6 of 10 , May 18, 2009
                My understanding of New Skete is that they converted from RC as a monastery, and are still on the path of assimilating Orthodoxy
                ....which, really, is what we all do on a lifelong basis, individually and corporately. God gives each of us a path, and we're never at our final destination, but if we stay on the path we're where He wants us.

                In my experience every monastery, like every church and individual, has its own character. Each, certainly, has its own blessings. Over time God steers us to various ones, and each visit tends to have its own "miracle" in which He speaks to us in a surprising way---

                R.

                ________________________________
> [...]

                > > monastery that is not in the midst of a major urban center. All services
                > in
                > > English.
                > > - St. Nektarios Monastery (GOA) - the men's monastery in the NYC region
                > > founded by Elder Ephraim of Mt. Athos. All services in Greek. Wonderful
                > > property in the Catskills.
                > >
                > > Christopher
                > >

                > > On Sun, May 10, 2009 at 9:02 PM, Dave @¿@¬ <dnaess@...> wrote:
                > >

                > > > Howdy!
                > > >
                > > > New Skete in Cambridge, NY is having a "Vocation Week" June 1 - 7.
                > > >
                > > > See the New Skete site:
                > > > http://www.newskete.com/
                > > >
                > > > for more information.
                > > >
                > > > I have contacted them and will be talking to Br. Christopher
                > > > this week. I am anticipating a week of learning that will
                > > > answer a lot more questions than my past weekend jaunts to
                > > > a monostary with "a bunch of Orthodox folks out for a jolly

              • Rebecca Wilson
                Message 7 of 10 , May 19, 2009
                  Christ is risen!  Indeed, He is risen!

                  The monks and nuns at New Skete were Byzantine Rite RC converts. They are "legitimate" but somewhat esoteric.  Our Parish hosted a retreat that was conducted by Fr. Christopher, who is the head dog trainer (dog-breeding and training is how the monks' support themselves).  The retreat topic was how can you relate or continue your spiritual growth through the Liturgy and how to establish a prayer life.  It was very Enlightening with practical application for lay people. Some of the practices that he suggested I have implemented in my private devotional life.

                  Holy Trinity Monastery is a GEM!  Go as often as you can.

                  In Christ,

                  Rebecca

                  ____________ _________ _________ __

                • Dave @¿@¬
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 19, 2009
                    My "assigned reading" from Brother Christopher (the current Vocations Director at New Skete) is:

                    "In The Spirit Of Happyness"
                    The Monks Of New Skete
                    ISBN:978-0-316-60694-3

                    Which, I am told, covers the philosophy of New Skete fairly well and will give me a preliminary overview.

                    It is obtainable from both New Skete
                    http://www.newsketemonks.com/catalogue.htm

                    and at Amazon:
                    http://www.amazon.com/Spirit-Happiness-Monks-New-Skete/dp/0316606944/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1242752388&sr=1-5