911Re: [LutheransLookingEast] Finding the "right" Orthodox parish

    Feb 27, 2009
      Dave,

      For me, had Western Rite been an option, there would have been no question I
      would have gone that route for the sake of my family but there aren't any
      Western Rite parishes even an hour or two away.

      I think WR would have been easier for my husband and he might have
      considered Orthodoxy (although he likes that "being of German descent in a
      Lutheran church" thing he has going for him--talk about ethnic!--so I can't
      say for certain he would have made the move....but I would have certainly
      considered that first).

      Now...some almost 4 years later I would find it difficult to give up the
      Eastern expressions of Orthodoxy...although I still would do it if there was
      a WR parish near by and it meant my husband would join me.

      Being WR one still gets some exposure to Eastern things...for example, a
      week from Sunday night there will most likely be a pan-Orthodox vespers
      service in your area to celebrate the Sunday of Orthodoxy. If you were WR
      you would attend that and it would most likely be done Eastern style. There
      are other occasions throughout the year for these kinds of pan-Orthodox/
      Eastern exposure, like clergy/laity conferences, so I suspect one would
      start to get comfortable with Eastern ways after a while even if one were
      WR.

      In picking out an Eastern Orthodox church I tend to take a "bloom where you
      are planted" approach. I would go to the nearest parish...unless that
      parish is really there to specifically serve an ethnic population in the
      area. Those parishes are needed, too, but it's best when English is one's
      first language to go to a parish where English is mostly spoken. Of course
      you may choose to do it differently. I wouldn't worry so much about being
      accepted. I have found the Orthodox in general to be very hospitable and
      loving and accepting even if some cradle ethnics don't quite understand why
      in the world a German or Anglo would choose to attend a Greek or Russian or
      Serbian parish. In the end, as you already know, it isn't about the style
      of chanting (my preference is Russian though I go to a Greek parish) or the
      building or the food at coffee hour or even how kind the priest
      is...although I have to say from personal experience that having a
      wonderful, kind, holy priest is a great blessing.

      One last thing...do go to Forgiveness Vespers this Sunday evening if you
      can. It is a beautiful service.-----R