78Re: Just Joined

  • tantuslabor
    Apr 23, 2007
      Dear "HerrDave,"

      Christ is risen!

      I'll chime in here, if I may. In the first place, the infallible
      scriptures do not guide all doctrine and practice in Missouri. In the
      second place, the oral tradition (as you put it) is not a second
      source in addition to the Scripture (the RC view) or opposed to it
      (the Protestant view). In the third place, pronouncements by a monk
      here or a group of monks there are worthy of respect, but no one's
      voice is the voice of Orthodoxy unless and until the Church receives
      it as such. In the case of the Council of Florence, for example, only
      Mark of Ephesus, of all the hierarchs, opposed the false union. But
      his voice was received, and theirs were not.

      The infallible God, who speaks infallible words, gives to his holy
      Church an infallibly right understanding of that word. Otherwise the
      word itself were not clear.

      Hope this helps!

      Cordially,

      Fr. Gregory Hogg

      --- In LutheransLookingEast@yahoogroups.com, herrdave2_prime
      <no_reply@...> wrote:

      > Fr Fenton,
      > How does one from the LCMS brand of Lutheranism deal with the new
      fuzzier version of truth coverting to Orthodoxy, when it is not the
      infallible scriptures that guide all doctrine and practice, but oral
      tradition that has so many variants, especially today when many
      Orthodox endorse practice and beliefs not seen prior to the time of
      Darwin? For example, Seraphim Rose opposes theistic evolution and the
      monks of Athos have codemned the Ecumenical Patriarch's worship with
      the heretic Pope of Rome. Many LCMS would agree with these views,
      however they seem to be frige views in Orthodoxy. I recall that the
      Orthodox consider scripture as part of tradition and that tradition is
      the rudder, but if scripture indeed has error, then by definition,
      tradition has also erred.

      > --- In LutheransLookingEast@yahoogroups.com, "JWF" <jwfenton@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Welcome, Sal, to the list! And thanks for the intro.
      > >

      > > Not all of us journeyed to Athens, or even Constantinople. Some of us
      > > journeyed to Antioch <http://www.antiochian.org/> . :-)
      > >

      > > To answer your question about justifying (nice word choice :-))
      this journey
      > > with the concepts of Sola Gratia and Sola Fide, let me offer a few
      brief
      > > thoughts and then a question.
      > >

      > > Brief Comment
      > >

      > > The word sola gratia generally indicates that one is brought to and
      > > maintained in salvation solely by God's grace. The Orthodox
      liturgy, both in
      > > its Byzantine and Western rites, steadfastly prays for the Lord's
      mercy. And
      > > throughout her various liturgical texts, the Orthodox Church
      teaches that
      > > all we are and all we have depends on God's grace and mercy.
      However, "grace
      > > doesn't jump on us and paralyze us so we can do nothing and not
      respond" (as
      > > my Dean is fond of saying). Rather, the Orthodox liturgy firmly
      professes
      > > that the grace of God is freely given-and so is freely received. This
      > > reception, however, ought not to be considered in the sense of
      Arminianism,
      > > but rather according to the story of the Annunciation. The holy
      archangel
      > > Gabriel declares, "The Lord [is] with you," not "the Lord will
      come to you
      > > once you meet certain conditions." Yet the Lord's grace is so
      gracious that
      > > it kindly awaits the most pure Virgin to give her fiat mihi.
      Keeping that
      > > story uppermost in mind is, for me, most helpful in maintaining a
      proper
      > > understanding of sola gratia.
      > >

      > > Question
      > >

      > > I know what most Lutherans popularly mean by sola fide; namely,
      that one is
      > > saved (i.e., converted, or brought from the state of pagan to
      Christian) by
      > > faith alone and not by any works or deeds. However, I also am
      aware that
      > > some Lutherans view sola fide as applying to the realm of
      sanctification (as
      > > this is distinguished from justification). In other words, that one's
      > > remaining in a state of grace depends on faith and not on works.
      Before