570Re: [LutheransLookingEast] Combox Ecumenism

    Jul 3, 2008
      I agree the Barnes book can be harsh sounding, but I tend to think more and
      more that a clear expression of the actual canons and understanding of the
      Church on such (and other) matters is best long-term. I have seen too many
      converts slide into Orthodoxy only to fall out when the exoticism fades
      away. Besides, the cross is an offense, as was the Virgin Birth, not to
      mention the spiritual entering the physical realm. Of course, that is
      different than being rude, unloving, etc. I also live in NYC, so I've
      picked up a tougher edge than I had in Minnesota.

      Christopher

      On 7/3/08, Rosemarie Lieffring <rose.lieffring@...> wrote:

      > Great thread...I found it two days ago and have enjoyed the exchange.
      >
      > One comment though...I am not a rigorist (probably because I was never
      > WELS,
      > only LCMS ;P ) and I have to say that the Barnes book, while it has it's
      > good points, can be a harsh read...especially to an inquirer. In places the
      > tone reminds me of some of those "I am more Orthodox than you are"
      > discussions one reads around the internet. My Lutheran husband read a bit
      > of it and was offended...to the point that I still get a few related
      > negative jabs when if wear my Orthodoxy on my sleeve. Of course, I am
      > probably more thin skinned than most. YMMV.-----R
      >
      > On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 12:48 AM, Christopher Orr <xcjorr@...<xcjorr%40gmail.com>>
      > wrote:
      >
      > > Yeah it's long winded and erveryone got a little too hot under the
      > > collar/riassa/head scarf by the end, but the comments to the blog post
      > > "Thoughts
      > > on Ordination Vows<
      > >
      > http://fatherhollywood.blogspot.com/2008/06/thoughts-on-ordination-vows.html
      > > >"
      > > (
      > >

      > http://fatherhollywood.blogspot.com/2008/06/thoughts-on-ordination-vows.html
      > > )
      > > by
      > > LCMS pastor 'Father Hollywood' are very interesting - for both sides of
      > the
      > > discussion. I suggest taking a read, and then stopping when it gets to be
      > > just too much for you. I find Mr. Orr to be especially annoying,
      > > personally, but am always a fan of the thoughts shared by Anastasia
      > > Theodorides (the Kyrie Eleison blog and former Episcopalian) and LCMS
      > > Pastor
      > > Benjamin Harju. The interaction has been very interesting both for what
      > it
      > > achieves and does not (cannot?) achieve.
      > >
      > > One thing that annoying Mr. Orr kept referring to was the book "The
      > > Non-Orthodox: The Orthodox Teaching on Christians Outside of the Church"
      > by
      > > Patrick Barnes, editor of the Orthodox Christian Information Center
      > > website,
      > > which is available to read at:
      > >
      > > http://www.orthodoxinfo.com/inquirers/non-orthodox.pdf
      > > Christopher