57Re: [LutheransLookingEast] Re: Favorite Saints

  • william terrell
    Mar 13 11:59 AM
      I was just teasin about St. Barney.

      william terrell <terrellccso@...> wrote: My favorite saint is St. Barney of Fife. He was a very wise man and celibate though not a monk. His icon is at http://november-in-my-soul.blogspot.com/2007/02/blog-post.html.

      Reader Christopher <xcjorr@...> wrote:
      I would also add St. Theophan the Recluse because a section in his
      "The Spiritual Life and How to be Attuned to It" helped me understand
      how to, in a practical way, fight temptation and 'thoughts' that are
      insinuate by the devil, brought up by our flesh, etc.

      The gist is that anger is meant for one thing: to fight sin. When one
      sees a thought approach or once it has been suggested - when it is
      still not sin but simply temptation - focus all your anger on it and
      say a quick prayer since we can do nothing without prayer and God's
      assistance. I was delivered from a particularly difficult physical
      sin with this technique and am eternally (literally) grateful to St.
      Theophan for his assistance.

      I also have bits and pieces that I have remembered from various saints
      writings and lives that I have found helpful, e.g., Sts Herman of
      Alaska, Innocent and Tikhon of Moscow, John of Shanghai and San
      Francisco, Seraphim of Sarov, Nilus of Sora, Symeon the New
      Theologian, the Desert Fathers, Anthony the Great, Athanasius the
      Great, the Cappadocians, John Chrysostom, John Damascene, John
      Cassian, Augustine, Isaac of Syria, the Optina Elders (especially Sts
      Ambrose, Macarius and Barsanuphius), and Dorotheus, John and
      Barsanuphius of Gaza, etc.

      Christopher

      --- In LutheransLookingEast@yahoogroups.com, "Christopher Orr"
      <xcjorr@...> wrote:

      > Favorite saints, in no particular order:
      >
      > - St. Elizabeth the New Martyr (convert from Lutheranism; she was
      also
      > the granddaughter of Queen Victoria and since my father is from
      England...)
      > - St. George the Great Martyr (patron saint of England and one of my
      > only regular contacts with a post-Apostolic saint growing up as a
      Lutheran;
      > plus, again, St. George is the patron saint of England. I had a gold
      > sovereign coin on a necklace from my parents that had St. George
      on one side
      > and Queen Victoria on the other...)
      > - St. Silouan the Athonite (probably as much because of Fr. Sophrony
      > Sakharav and his writing about St. Silouan.)
      > - Fr. Seraphim Rose (an American convert, not yet canonized)
      >
      > Christopher

      Lt. William Terrell
      Public Information Officer
      Camden County Sheriff's Office