350Re: [LutheransLookingEast] Atonement question

  • Travis (Constantine) Stolz
    Dec 28, 2007
      To what Mr. Orr has suggested, I would also recommend what is perhaps the best "introduction" to Orthodox theology, namely, the anaphora from the Divine Liturgy of St. Basil. Also, I seem to recall something in Fr. George Mastrontonis' Augsburg and Constantinople concerning the Atonement and where we and the Lutherans differ.

      One more thing. Holy Scripture does not provide a doctrine of the Atonement any more than it provides a doctrine of God. It is crucial, therefore, that one understands the place and role of Holy Scripture in the Church. This may well be where the bulk of disagreements between Lutherans and Orthodox occur but it reveals much about the theology of each.

      Yours,
      Travis (Constantine)

      Christopher Orr <xcjorr@...> wrote:
      Fr. John Romanides has a book entitled "The Ancestral Sin" that gets into
      this distinction. Broadly speaking, it is over whether we inherit the guilt
      of Adam's sin or simply the mortality, corruptibility and tendency toward
      sin.

      Weak on sin is sort of like discussions over whether a politician is weak or
      tough on crime - it depends on one's perspective on what weak and tough
      means. It isn't a competition over how evil we can see humanity as being.

      The real issue comes down to authority, because this is how one defines
      questions such as this. Scripture alone (well, my understanding and
      interpretation of it) may very well lead to a different set of answers than
      Scripture only through the hermeneutical lens of the Church and her saints
      that have seen God.

      The Lord bless your inquiry. Don't just read; you must also pray, worship,
      fast, etc. otherwise you won't be able to see through the muck in your eyes.

      Christopher