1885Re: [LutheransLookingEast] An Orthodox "Dogmatics?" (ignore previous false post)

    Sep 25, 2013

      "Orthodox Dogmatic Theology" by Michael Pomazansky (St Herman's Press) is probably as close as one would find to what you are looking for.

      Met. Hilarion Alfeyev's second volume in his "Orthodox Christianity" series is something like what you are asking for, though not as systematic:

      http://www.svspress.com/orthodox-christianity-volume-ii-doctrine-and-teaching-of-the-orthodox-church/

      The place to start is St John of Damascus' "Exact Exposition".

      The liturgical cycle of services and how the various fixed and moveable pieces interact with each other is also important.  For instance, the care shown in distinguishing between the worship due to God and the veneration due to the Mother of God and the saints is seen in the way the Church doxologizes with the Trinity and Christ alone, how Feasts of the Lord always 'outrank' and displace Feasts of the Mother of God and the saints, how veneration of saints is accomplished by first making the sign of the cross of Christ, and how the Mother of God is allow always portrayed with her Son (not apart from Him as if she was holy apart from Him).

      Christopher Orr

      On Sep 25, 2013 8:44 AM, <revcatherwood@...> wrote:

      Brothers and sisters,
      Does anyone know of an Orthodox "Dogmatics" volume, or something similar to Pieper or Mueller or even Koehler's "Summary of Christian Doctrine? (I've found this the briefest, yet best/most concise)" I would like to get a little deeper into an understanding of where East/Lutheranism differs, and something like this would be helpful, systematically.
      I have seen many online sources, however, I like books. To hold. I would like something I can carry around, and not on my tablet. I like to make notes in the margins. I am old fashioned.
      Can anyone point me in a direction, or is a Dogmatics book inherently Lutheran? What do they use at the Orthodox seminaries? HELP. Thanks in advance.

      In Christ, and Him crucified,
      Robb

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic