      From: "Richard K. Futrell" <PastorFutrell@...>
      Sender: LutheransLookingEast@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2011 21:51:25
      To: <LutheransLookingEast@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: Re: [LutheransLookingEast] Irenaeus, the Fall, and the Image of
      God

      Ben,

      Sorry for my tardy response. I've haven't religiously :-) been checking my e-mail during the Independence Day weekend.

      You said, "Pr. Futrell, in saying on your part that St. Irenaeus lost the image, you have not said what you believe that image is for Irenaeus yet."

      Short answer: Only man was created in God’s image. We were created to be like God, never to die, as we lived in communion with Him and could live holy lives according to His will. The image of God and ability to live in such communion was lost in Adam (Genesis 5:3; Romans 5:12-21; 1 Corinthians 15:20–24). In Christ, it is restored and will be fully restored on the Last Day (1 Corinthians 15:49; Romans 8:29).

      BTW, you can call me "Rich" if you would like. It is not a sign of disrespect; I know you were a Lutheran pastor. It is simply being informal, and I hope, always cordial.

      --
      Rich Futrell, Pastor
      Shepherd of the Hills Lutheran Church, Kimberling City, MO

      Where we receive and confess the faith of the Church (in and with the Augsburg Confession): The faith once delivered to the saints, the faith of Christ Jesus, His Word of the Gospel, His full forgiveness of sins, His flesh and blood given and poured out for us, and His gracious gift of life for body, soul, and spirit.