1768Irenaeus, the Fall, and the Image of God

  • Richard
    Jul 1, 2011
      I understand (perhaps, incorrectly) that Eastern Orthodoxy holds that when Adam fell into sin, it was a fall, but that did not include the loss of the image of God.

      I'm reading Irenaeus' Against Heresies. He says in a couple of places that we lost the image of God in the Fall. Here's one quotation:

      "When [Jesus] became incarnate and was made human, he began anew the long line of human beings and, to state it briefly, furnished us with salvation. Consequently, what we had lost in Adam--namely, the image of likeness of God--we recovered in Christ Jesus" (Against Heresies, 3:18,1).

      I'd like an EO response and understanding on this.
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic