1754Re: [LutheransLookingEast] Orthodox Jurisdictions

    Dec 12, 2010
      "What are the essential distinguishing characteristics of each Orthodox
      jurisdiction?"

      The most basic differences between each Orthodox jurisdiction in the US is
      their episcopates, what they are responsible for and how they are chosen.

      For instance, the Synod of the OCA is chosen locally by the Synod itself in
      cooperation with the clergy and laity of the diocese. The OCA is not a
      department of any state and receives no direct government support, it is
      also not closely allied with any particular ethnic group or country. Each
      bishop is a ruling bishop of a distinct diocese, just like the in the Old
      World.

      By comparison, all other Orthodox jurisdictions have enormous 'involvement'
      either locally or overseas from one or more governments. The Turkish and
      Greek governments, for instance, are heavily involved with the activities of
      the Ecumenical Patriarchate. The Russian Church works towards Russian
      governmental goals, as well, as recently revealed by WikiLeaks. the
      Russian, Greek and EP churches receive money from their states. The Church
      of Antioch has close ties with the government of Syria - mainly because the
      government is not as radically Muslim as others in the region (the Bashirs
      are members of a 'heretical' Muslim sect).

      The local bishops have wider or narrower mandates. For instance, it seems
      clear now that all Antiochian bishops apart from the Metropolitan are simply
      assistant/auxiliary bishops to the Metropolitan. The OCA has its own
      self-contained Synod and consecrates its own chrism, even. ROCOR has
      bishops and dioceses outside of the US and the bishop of its Eastern US
      diocese is also the leader of all ROCOR and locum tenens of their Australian
      diocese.

      This is all rather 'inside baseball' kinds of information. At the end of
      the day, it's really about your local parish, the clergy and people there.

      Each jurisdictions has clergy and people with a wide variety of backgrounds:
      recent American converts, convert families going back a few generations,
      immigrants right off the boat speaking no English, fourth and fifth
      generation immigrant families, blue and white collar, open to visitors, not
      open, highly intellectual clergy and people to far less so. Add to this
      differences in temperament, cliques, family dynamics, differences from the
      Old World and the New, as well as geography and each parish can be quite
      different. One can speak in generalities, but there are too many exceptions
      to make that worth all that much. What a given inquirer or convert 'needs'
      and prefers can also be dramatically different. Some prefer very ethnic
      communities and worship in foreign languages, the strictest typikon and
      fasting rules, others may need/prefer to ease themselves into Orthodox and
      want something that feels more like what they are familiar with (since so
      much is so different already).

      (I was baptized in an OCA parish, but am now a more frequent communicant at
      a GOA parish - though I still visit my old parish for weekday feasts and
      Pascha. People tend to prefer Slavic or Greek/Antiochian, ethnic or
      American or somewhere between, strict or less strict. I prefer Slavic,
      almost all English but with a diversity of ethnicities, and strict. The
      reasons these different flavors exist is due to Orthodoxy being a very large
      thing with a complex sociology and history, in this country and abroad,
      though with not enough time for a common mode to have developed here - there
      are many new immigrants (of all kinds) with their own needs as well as brand
      new converts (of all kinds) with their own needs, as well as older parishes
      with their own distinct identities.)

      The best thing to do is to visit your two local options and see how each
      priest and parish feels. Sometimes you may respond quite well to a certain
      priest, but not his parish. Sometimes both will speak to you. Give it some
      time, too. No need to make a decision immediately, though a stable rhythm
      of church life should begin to take form after awhile. Take advice from
      whichever priest you feel most comfortable with, be open with him about any
      concerns you have about Orthodox, a given parish, your family's needs, etc.
      There's very little you will be able to bring up that they haven't heard
      before.

      If you have further questions, ask.