1748Re: [LutheransLookingEast] New Perspective on Paul

    Nov 8, 2010
      pastor and seminary professor). I think the lack of particularly helpful
      one way or the other for the Orthodox. I think his view is more 'important'
      to Protestants (because of the particular way they rely on Paul and certain
      portions of his Epistles, for the centrality of justification as they
      understand it, etc.), generally, but it's just another 'internal matter' for
      the West from the perspective of Orthodoxy.

      From one:

      I'm not an expert on Wright, either. That said, I think any rereading of
      > Paul that breaks out of the particular law-gospel dichotomy of Lutheranism
      > is good. For instance, Lutherans had coopted Galatians for a long time.
      > Yet, Paul is not Luther. We cannot be so anachronistic. Paul is concerned
      > with those demanding a following of the literal reading of the Levitical
      > Law. By Gospel, he does not mean that God pushes his grace through us at
      > his own choosing (for we cannot even cooperate). So, although I am not
      > aware of direct Orthodox engagement with Wright on this point, I do think
      > questioning the Lutheran anachronism is important.

      > I didn't find anything by an Orthodox scholar or anyone else explicitly
      > discussing this. I think in general, this is because Orthodox look to a
      > tradition of biblical interpretation rather than to critical tools alone
      > (whether one uses them "liberally" or "conservatively"). Now, some texts
      > receive little commentary in the Fathers and some questions were not
      > necessarily in their considerations, but that's just how it goes.
      >
      > One thing you could do is point him in the direction of the Finnish
      > Lutheran-Orthodox exchanges, though I have to confess that I think the
      > Finnish Lutherans are stretching Luther to make him appear more "Orthodox."

      > Here's one review: http://www.pubtheo.com/page.asp?pid=1435

      From the other:

      I've only read Wright on Christ, and his musings on the future of the
      > church, so I'm out of this loop. He is surely to be labeled among the
      > conservative interpreters of Christ now writing in that area. I would
      > expect a rather conservative approach to Paul would follow, but I don't
      > know. He is highly respected among NT interpreters and is Bishop of Durham,
      > one of the most ancient sees of the Church of England.
      >
      > here's a brief essay by Wright that gives his take on Paul in brief.
      > http://www.ntwrightpage.com/Wright_New_Perspectives.htm

      Christopher