14Re: [LutheransLookingEast] What is meant by justification?

    Feb 27, 2007

      > On 2/27/07, Charles Hogg <stoic1348@...> wrote:
      >
      > You might also check out St. Mark the Ascetic, "On those who think they
      > are
      > righteous by works," in vol. 1 of the Philokalia.

      St Mark's work is available here:

      http://orrologion.blogspot.com/2006/02/on-those-who-think-they-are-made.html

      Or, thanks to John Burnett, at:

      http://jbburnett.com/resources/mark_ascetic-righteousness.pdf

      A critique of the fact that early Christian writers simply didn't write
      about justification in the ways that later scholastic and Protestant
      theologians did is that we should really look at what St. Paul wrote.
      However, that hermeneutical question is why we believe that we are more
      accurate in our understanding of St. Paul than were those writing in the
      same language he wrote in, in broadly the same culture, etc. I have always
      found this to be the arrogance of modern man and is simply a traditionally
      religious form of the Jesus Seminar.

      We can't get to what Paul wrote by jumping over how he was understood in the
      intervening years. Likewise, we can't get at what the Ante-Nicene Fathers
      "really" believed by jumping over the understanding of the Nicene Fathers.
      Christianity is a golden chain of faith from father to son, or it is a
      creation of one's own "inspired by" those texts that remain to us - and that
      agree with what we like of their faith or fit our personal standard of what
      is either 'likely' or 'worthy'.

      As the passage from 2 Thessalonians on the homepage states: Paul
      'traditioned' on to the Thessalonians traditions that were both written and
      spoken. It is an assumption built on top of the texts to state that the
      written and oral traditions were identical.