1379Re: The Death of Christ – The Life of Man

  • oruaseht
    Aug 31, 2009
      Father Stephen is a genius, no doubt in my mind. His posts are incredibly insightful and wise. After reading much of what he has written and proposed regarding the wrath of God, I am challenged. It's kind of like the X-Files: "I *want* to believe!" I want to believe that there is no wrath of God. But it's either my Protestant conscience or the "scary God" stories of the OT (like Sodom & Gomorrah for example) that are nagging me. And other verses from the NT like Heb 10:30 "For we know him who said, "Vengeance is mine; I will repay." And again, "The Lord will judge his people" are fairly compelling that God does have some wrath/vengeance about Him.

      I get Father Stephen's main point: the "turn or burn" theology of the Reformed is sickening and breeds Atheism. Also, we should be centered on God's grace and mercy in Christ, rather than His anger. We should be quick NOT to wish God's wrath on other sinners, lest we should wish it upon ourselves. These are all solid points that I agree with wholeheartedly. However, I just don't know if we can say that God has no wrath/anger at sin.

      The East has enlightened me personally though in not seeing the cross in a purely "Anselmic" light, of God the Father pouring out His white hot wrath on the Son and then allowing us to go free from that wrath. A truly merciful God would not need to unleash wrath - this is the parable of the prodigal son/Loving Father that makes so much more sense to me now.
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic