1343RE: [LutheransLookingEast] Re: Question for former Lutherans

  • Fr John W Fenton
    Aug 17, 2009
      Hi David,

      You wrote:

      ".is there some sort of "formal" exit or separation that I have to do with
      St. Louis?"

      According to the LCMS constitution, the only members of the LCMS are
      congregations and certain grades of "ministers" (ordained, commissioned,
      etc.). This means that individual laymen are not members of the LCMS.

      In terms of your question, then, the only persons who must notify the LCMS
      about leaving the LCMS are pastors or others who fit the different grades or
      levels of "ministers." Therefore, when I determined that I could no longer
      be Lutheran, I submitted two resignations-one to the congregation I served
      and one to the LCMS. The several laymen who came to the same conclusion
      simply resigned their membership at the local parish. The LCMS District
      President concurred that this was the proper procedure.

      My singular advice to you, then, is that you have done your duty by
      informing your former LCMS pastor.

      Asking your prayers, the unworthy priest,

      Fr. John W. Fenton

      <http://holyincarnation.org/> Holy Incarnation Orthodox Church

      Location: 1385 Goddard Rd, Lincoln Park MI 48146

      Mail: 8941 Quandt Ave, Allen Park MI 48101

      313.282.6153

      http://holyincarnation.org

      frfenton@...